Click for Delta Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for Comfort Click for Mag Bay

What is the average age to retire from yachting?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Joe Deepwater, Feb 10, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I've seen plenty of ski boats bought by young people with their own funds plus financing. I bought my own boats when I was in my 20's. Young, single, renting.
  2. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Actually the reason I need 3 more years is because I have that left in the salt mines, and wouldn't have the time to take on a new boat, especially an older one, and give it the TLC it will need. Also, I can't get to my money until I retire. Right now it's all tied up in retirement type accounts. Fall of 2022 I'll be writing checks. :D
  3. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Excuses excuses! There are always good deals on the yachting market you just have to find the right desperate owner that needs to get out from under it quickly....there's always a few out there regardless of the economy and market. Ugh , landscaping cutting the lawn or having it cut for you maintaining the house interior decorating, Real estate taxes school taxes etc.
    Not much fun to me.
    I would much rather be maintaining the Yacht ! The nut case that I am...

So Joe, come on by the yacht ! Lol you know you want it.

All this bashing of the brown water, I like it, keeps me from not being able to see how shallow things really are around my vessel and hides some of those underwater obstructions that otherwise if you saw them would make the hair stand on the back of your neck!
  4. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Come on , a nice little inexpensive 30/34' mainship pilot wouldn't hurt to have now till you wait to cash out in three years !
  5. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

You are my hero, I will now live vicariously through you......
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

No vicarious stuff, just do it, as they say, with that beautiful 46!!

I'm allowed to bring one worm. When that's gone, CZ has a long list of dockside restaurants. We have several other boats that we travel with on call, as available basis - we pinch ourselves every day (after I leave the office)
  7. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Today I heard a blip on Bloomberg about the "boating industry" focusing on getting millennials to buy more boats..... Good luck with that. I know 26 year olds that don't want to get a driver's license.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

10 years ago I bought a 15' Boston Whaler dauntless from one of my customers really cheap and was going to give it to my 2 little brothers to use. My mom lives on the water, brothers were 15 and 17. I drove to my mom's house, went in the room where they were both playing video games and asked them if they wanted a 15' whaler to use....."nooooo, not really...…..I'd have to see it first...….maybe......I don't know....." I didn't say a word, drove home, thought about it, and never gave it to them...I figured they'd never keep it clean, use it, and I'd be fixing it.........I kept it for a few years to canal cruise and then got rid of it.
  9. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

I could have written that!
    While I do have a land base condo, the boat is where it is at. Lucky for me my wife is more boat crazy that I am. I thought about the brown water bashing and thought just what you did. We do the best with what we got.
    I haven't pulled a weed or mowed a lawn in over 10 years. I'm lovin' it.
    Downsize and get the boat Joe Deepwater! Oh, I mean another boat.
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I've been without a boat for the last 3 years, for the first time ever. It sucks!

I work on and travel on loads of others, but not having your own escape capsule is like losing a freedom you always thought was a human right.

As I said, it sucks.
  11. Joe Deepwater

Joe Deepwater Member

The Miami Yacht Show was pretty exciting. Not enough time for us to own in SFL in the next 5 years to be worth it, but sometimes knowing what you shouldn't do is just as valuable. Yes, some day.
  12. Joe Deepwater

Joe Deepwater Member

We just returned from the Miami Yacht Show. I originally planned to attend the Boat Show, but the Boat SHow seemed to have new and smaller boats, whereas the Yacht SHow seemed to have larger and used boats. Is there a trend toward smaller boats? Or just buyers with smaller budgets? Or aging boaters that are not being replaced by younger boaters?

We are looking at used 52-55 foot 3BR MY with a 5 year time horizon. But gut told me that there will be an excess of 70-90 footers for sale in the next 10 years based on foot traffic at this show. It just seemed like few ppl were on the larger boats. Maybe this show was an outlier and I'm by no means an expert but you certainly couldn't blame it on the weather. I saw a 60' Absolute and a 1997 76' Mochi Craft with a 22 foot beam that were still stylish despite the years. Thoughts on me giving consideration to these older and larger boats in the next 5 years? Or stick to my original 52-55' range? Pros? Cons?
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There is a HUGE operating cost difference between 55' and 75'. I wouldn't touch either of those brands. I'd go for a better quality brand. You have to decide what your cruising area's are going to be. 75' can be pretty limiting on the west coast of FL compared to 55'.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I can’t imagine the maintenance on a 20+ year old Mocchi Craft.

As J said you need to define how you will use the boat. For instance over 5’ draft and over 60’ pretty much eliminates most of the Florida Keys. Over 6’ draft makes some of the best Bahamas anchorage tricky to reach without some tides.

As others have explained the Miami Boat Show is all about new boats under 60/65’ I would guess although I don’t think there is a set limit. The yacht show is more about brokerage, larger boats.

As to size, if anything i think the trend is going towards larger boats. More new owners are jumping straight into to 50/60’ range and many are stepping up in size. This one of reasona most builders have been expanding their MY range upward. All of them.
  15. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

Dead. My Father was still building and delivering vessels when he died suddenly at 92. My brother was 78. I'm 70 and still working out the kinks. Of course these are extreme examples. I was a truck driver for 30 yrs before going to sea. I love it. You couldn't pay me enough to go back to driving. If you think new boat prices are insane, the price on a new Freightliner is absolutely nuts. When you get into a Prevost motorhome that's $2.5Mn - you'll start to appreciate that $250k trawler even more. Many ragbaggers I know have retired to trawlers.
  16. Beau

Beau Senior Member

DW

I think you have to stop looking at a pleasure boat as an investment opportunity. If your going to use the boat now, buy now, if you're going to use the boat in 5 years, buy in five years. Its similar to timing the stock market - very unsuccessful strategy for most.
  17. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

95%, including those that get paid to do it. Unfortunately they pass the cost on to their customers.
  18. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I don't care who pays for it, my point is that trying to time anything subject to market pressures is an illusion. Comprehend man! I am the curmudgeon of the site, but you always seem to be looking for something in another's post that you can correct, no matter how off point it is. I'd didn't correct you the other day, but many Concordia's have glass hulls - so where your smell of wood comment came from....you're a life long sailor? You should have know that, but I didn't call you out on an irrelevant point.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I think this thread, the OP is trying to focus on finding the best deal, whether it really suits his needs or not. The best deal on something that doesn't suit your needs, IS NOT A DEAL. That being said, define the type of boating you want to do and your needs (not wants), then find the perfect boat that meets those needs...….go boating and be happy...….

I have one customer looking at 50' SF and he was looking at $150k boats, asking me tons of questions......finally after a month or two of this...…..he finally realized what I was telling him all along......you're going to dump a ton of money $100k or so, making these "bargain" or "old" sportfish meet your needs (that you won't get back)and to just spend $150k more for a newer SF with modern stuff that meets your needs to begin with...…..
  20. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Amen. We've gone thru 5 pages of mostly useless advise and tangents.