Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Comfort Click for Walker

What is a ridge wave breaking window?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by 06kingranch, Jul 6, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 06kingranch

06kingranch New Member

Hey guy's my wife and I are looking at cat style yacht's has anyone heard of a ridge wave breaking window or know what that is.

Thanks
    06kingranch
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have never heard that terminology used to describe anything on a yacht I am familiar with.

When you were posting prolifically about a year and a half ago it was all go for Lazzara.

Did you ever buy one or what were your impressions after your visit to Tampa?
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's referring to safty glass and how it's designed to break. Here's a little info on ridge lines. There's a bunch more info on the web. Quite frankly, it's over my head and pretty dry.
  4. 06kingranch

06kingranch New Member

No we're still looking there are so many yacht makers to chose from. Can get confusing sometimes?
  5. Savasa

Savasa Senior Member

Greetings,
    Actually NYCAP, those "ridge lines" are technicaly called Wallner lines. Not a dry subject at all. I spent my 35 year career trying to prevent them. A visual analysis of the patterns will indicate the point of initiation of the fracture and to a certain extent the force which caused it.
    Peter
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Dry is in the eye of the beholder. I read a few articles on it and had to fight the urge to shoot myself.;) I do however appreciate those who understand this stuff and make my world safer. I have a feeling that you may be able to give a good explanation of the term
    for the OP and we can all learn something. I look forward to it. Try to dumb it down a little though for us old boat jockies if you can:D .
  7. Savasa

Savasa Senior Member

Greetings,
    Sorry NYCAP, I've never heard of the term before. Could be a "made up" term for marketing hype. My "not dry" comment could be due to an advanced case of GLASSHEIMERS.
    Peter
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That sounds about right, but ridge lines are better known as Wallner lines from what I've read. You may be more familiar with that term. "Ridge Wave Breaking Window" does sound like marketing hype (with a touch of lawyer thrown in) to make one believe those forward facing windows can't cave without actually saying it. ;)