Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger

What happens to power boating when we run out of oil?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CaptCook, Oct 22, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

You're right, the economics of the situation are just not there at this moment in history.

But I believe the airline industry is taking a serious approach in utilizing bio-fuel for their planes. I thin I remember a fairly recent article (maybe Popular Science?) that indicated that a growing area about the size of one of our midsize States could product enough bio-jetfuel for the whole airline fleet of the world.
  2. brian eiland

Energy Storage 'devices'

Batteries or whatever, we need better energy storage devices / means. Imagine what we could do with that huge energy supply our sun bombards us with each day, if we could efficiently 'box it up' for when we need it, and in such an amount that we could condense it.

PS: How about storing energy in a spinning wheel?
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/technical-discussion/13441-flywheel-energy-storage-systems.html
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Any thoughts on which of the mid sized states should be converted to the production of the corn?

Might take a while to get it all ploughed and sown so best the machines get onto it ASAP. :D
  4. brian eiland

Interesting posting

Wish that company was paying a dividend on their stock. I made some money in the past on their rise to prominence.
  5. brian eiland

DON"T USE CORN. It is NOT a good source of bio-fuel. It is not even a good source (efficient source) of alcohol.
  6. brian eiland

I used to have an old Mercedes with vacuum locked doors, you could selectively lock or not the doors. A state policeman told me 'never drive down the road with the doors locked. If you get into an accident we often can't get you out of the car without the 'jaws of life' tools.

I've grown to hate all these multiple bells and whistles that want to let me know about all this crap on new cars. I imagine the next thing coming is another warning buzzer that I need to go to the bathroom....can you imagine. :eek:

Perhaps you should read this book,...
    Seven Miles an Hour: Retiring on a Trawler, With Cats: Don Wallace: 9780972750165: Amazon.com: Books
  7. brian eiland

The electric motor is BY FAR the best adaptation for powering a vehicle. its torque curve more naturally matches that of the road vehicles needs,.....greatest torque at low RPM (for acceleration) and less torque at high RPM (for maintaining speed). Internal compositions engines (gas or diesel) all have the opposite characteristics, low torque at low RPM, and greatest torque at upper RPM. That's why all of these ICE need a transmission to operate in a vehicle.

Then you can argue about where you get the electricity to power this wonderful electric more powerplant.
  8. brian eiland

Isn't propane additive to your race buggy and a diesel engine a potential problem explosive wise? I thought I remember reading that somewhere?
  9. SomeTexan

SomeTexan Member

I'm the same way with cars, I like manual everything. I hate the idea of cars that drive for you, park for you and watch where you are going. Once people lose these skills, they will be screwed if the electronics fail.

I do need to read that book, I've got 2 dogs and 4 cats that will be inboard with me when I hoist anchor and leave.
  10. SomeTexan

SomeTexan Member

The dune buggy runs on straight propane. Forklift parts, bought used for cheap. Forklifts have a decent safety record, and I have totaled one of these, with no leaks to the system. Hose routing, and a good tank cage are important. There are commercially avalible propane injection kits for diesel trucks. You can use it like nitrous oxide, on a button for instant power, or run a valve controlled by the throttle. From there it can be adjusted to either use the propane to boost power, or to clean up the smoke, lower egt's and use less diesel. I know people who use it on diesels because they will get twice the mileage on the diesel, while using propane. Usually 5-7 gal of propane will last a full tank of diesel. It's cheaper and cleaner, so even without the increase in mileage, it would be worth it. It also helps decarbon high mileage engines.
  11. brian eiland

Just paperback, but a fun read from an inexperienced couple from Canada who final decide to buy a 'big' boat (40') and got about cruising with it during the 6-7 winter months they get away from their cottage on a lake in Canada.

Sent you a private message as well, if you are not familiar with this forum tool.
  12. brian eiland

Interesting, I'll have to put that in my memory bank,....if I can keep it working fully.....ha...ha
  13. SomeTexan

SomeTexan Member

There were some unsafe homebuilt propane kits. Main problems were improper valves and hoses, and bad tank mounting. But, proper built, installed and maintained systems do exist in decent numbers. I'll try to find links for kits, or instructions to build your own and pm them to you. Both summitracing and jegs offer them in their diesel performance sections.

I know what you mean, between diesel and gas engines, I've got so many tricks, tips and ideas, I can't keep track of half of them.
  14. Wong Yi Fong

Wong Yi Fong Guest

Sailing is smart choice, but how abt cargo ship?
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Welcome to Yacht Forums.

Do you have any suggestions as to systems that have been proven to work in the 21st century?

There are a couple of systems out there already.

Here is one that is actually in service now.

SkySails GmbH-Home
  16. sunchaserv

sunchaserv Member

A good weekly to read is Oil and Gas Journal. It has pretty well nailed the resource business regarding new reservoir recovery techniques, supply and demand for the past many decades. The improvements in exploration and recovery are dramatic and based upon lots of research dollars and fruitful new technology.

Contrary to popular current political belief and Jimmy Carter from 35 years ago, we are not running out of oil and gas any time soon, and well beyond the 50 years the OP cited.

And BTW, like a Ferrari, a Tesla is a fun thing to have - in the garage a lot. For those often doing luggage and boat stuff loaded down, long and fast cross country jaunts, gas or diesel is a pretty nice BTU choice.
  17. Chapstick

Chapstick Member

I don't think it really matters whether the world runs out or not - price increases far outpace inflation in first world countries. That alone is enough to put a huge amount of pressure on consumers to move away from oil.

An electric car is beautifully suited to driving to the office and back each day, which is what most people do most of the time.

For other roles it will still have only limited suitability until some of the new battery technology concepts can reach the stage of mass production.
    Once that happens (assuming it does) we're probably going to see electric cars and boats all over.
    Electric propulsion is quiet, cheap, low maintenance, and at least has the potential to be far greener than fossil fuels.
  18. snowboy

snowboy New Member

Cdn Arctric in the summers, Sue and I are in the m
    I googled 318 stainless and came up dry. was this a typo ???or was it BS?
  19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,
    I would suggest the later but cant see any recent posts that refer to it.
  20. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

138 posts in this thread and we're supposed to know which one you are referencing? 318 may not be an SAE grade, but it's darn close to 316, which is. Do we want to split hairs on our first post on YF?