Click for Delta Click for Comfort Click for MotorCheck Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn

What happens to power boating when we run out of oil?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CaptCook, Oct 22, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaptCook

CaptCook New Member

Just out of curiosity, was it ever discussed here?

According to some estimates we will run out of fossil fuels this century:

- Oil in about 50 years.
    - Natural gas in about 70 yrs
    - Coal in about 250 yrs (don't think we are going back to steam engines)

What is the consensus on the new alternative source of fuel for marine industry, biodiesel, hydrogen, solar, etc.?

As far as I know the biodiesel is winning the race:
    BE SustainableMaersk funds research to develop lignin as alternative marine fuel source BE Sustainable
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

We sail! :cool:
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Had a little titter and a laugh at that.

I used to make charts and maps with a bloke called Don Street, he is well known for chucking ****** old engines over the side.

Just sail.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

According to other estimates we will never run out of any of the fossil fuels, but gradually they will be more expensive so we will use less. Probably in a combination with electricity from nuclear power, generation 4 or more...

And as Kevin is saying, boats can always sail..:)
  5. CaptCook

CaptCook New Member

Sure, SF can use outriggers as masts. :)

All we need is to invent a retractable keel.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If the reserves last that long not many of us reading this will have to worry about it, they will probably outlast us.
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Can you imagine if an entirely new energy source was discovered? Can you imagine the consequences it would have on our economies? Can you imagine the chaos as existing infrastructure deflates? Or how it could destabilize world markets? Is it absurd to think others have not previously considered these questions? And if so, could this be an indication of a new technology on the horizon? Or some yet-undisclosed energy source?

I believe we often concern ourselves with questions to which answers already exist. And my point? Enjoy the sweet stench of clag. One day, we may not miss it.
  8. CaptCook

CaptCook New Member

Luckily, nothing happens suddenly. Any discovery will take time to develop into a mainstearm resource. By the time it does, the old resource will slowly phase out and disappear.

It's hard to draw an analogy. We've been so energy dependent for centuries.
    The closest thing that comes to mind is candles vs electicity. :)
  9. patrick cooper

patrick cooper New Member

hho

hho generators using water as fuel or sea water (removing the 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen
    the hho generators will need to be more efficient than the ones used now to power larger engines see the videos
    Think different The power of HHO selfrunning free energy system running a 400 Watts load - YouTube
    using 318 stainless steel plates one negative one positive 3mm apart with a 12 volt supply at 10 amps submerged in water and a table spoon of baking soda you can produce up to 4 litres per min off hho or brown gas as its was used to be known years ago they use to weld years ago before aceletine it burns hotter as well ,or you can plumb it into your current engine to give better mileage or distance
    as it enters with the air in the combustion process it helps the ignition of diesel creating a better burn in chamber and thus more mpg
    people have been building banks of hho cells using up to 40 plates neg ,pos,neg pos ect and create lots of gas
    enough to run a truck or boat for free
  10. CaptNeil

CaptNeil Member

In the history of the world fossil fuels are a relatively new source of energy. Rudolf Diesel invented the diesel engine in the 1890's. So as a source of power a little over 100 year old technology is relatively new. I fail to see that we could completely burn through an entire supply of fuel in such a short time of human history. It's almost like saying in 50 years we will run out of water. Every day new deposits of oil are found and I don't believe that we have even scratched the surface of the worlds easily accessed deposits of oil. I would go so far to say that oil is not a finite resource as it over time will continue to replenish itself. In the 150 or so years that we have been using it as a commodity we have developed a vast supply and distribution network. I've been to some pretty remote parts of the world and there are two things that are always available. Fuel and booze. Usually the later is more abundant. If you ever get to an Island that was recently hit by a major hurricane there is never a shortage of rum, but it may take a few days for the fuel supplies to get replenished.
  11. patrick cooper

patrick cooper New Member

12. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Nice existential discussion! I would hope that, if we humans don't blow ourselve up before we exhaust our petro supplies, that we will have evolved an alternate technology to push our "stuff" around. If we don't, we have a heck of a lot more to worry about that powering our boats - by petro, sail or otherwise. Water World? Just saying....
  13. CaptCook

CaptCook New Member

This is a pretty good observation but the consumption scale is very different between the fuel and booze. Luckily we don't drink as much as the diesels. ;)
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If you believe those who claim we ll be running out of fuel soon, I guess you also believe in global warming so running out of fossil fuel is not an issue since we ll be underwater... :)

Seriously, technology keeps opening new sources so running out doesn't seem to be a real concern.
  15. Liam

Liam Senior Member

16. CaptNeil

CaptNeil Member

You obviously have never been to Czech Republic or Moldavia.:)
  17. CaptCook

CaptCook New Member

I should have also added: what are the better alternatives? Wouldn't it be great not to worry about gph, mpg and costly diesel engine repairs when you use some solar, nuclear or other sci-fi engines?

Tesla is a proven alternative in the car industry. I've been driving hybrids and electric cars for the last 5 years and saved a lot of money on gas without any trade-offs, really. I wish some progress will be made soon in the marine industry.
  18. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Robert Folton thought he did.

Robert Fulton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who Made America? | Innovators | Robert Fulton
  19. CaptNeil

CaptNeil Member

Unfortunately a lot of new technology is supressed . If Nicola Tesla were able to continue with his theory's then we may have already invented some sort of unlimited energy source. However Westinghouse bought up all of his patents and let his theory's fade into obscurity. If it wasn't for his kookery I think he was a genius way ahead of his time. His theory's on harmonics and energy are fascinating, but claiming that he could split the world in half ruined his credibility. Don't even get started on the death ray.... I have seen some of those "engines that run on water" and they seem like they work, but again border on the edge of kookery. Right now it just isn't profitable and fossil fuels are cheap enough that out of the box ideas just aren't in demand.
  20. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

An interesting read:

Nikola Tesla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia