Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for MotorCheck Click for Burger Click for Abeking

WHAT happens to a boat sitting in water for TWO years?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Sunni, Jan 20, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

39' Bertram.JPG
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  2. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Very nice photo.
    But actually being there, and getting a shower every other wave, is another matter altogether.
    For serious cruising, give me a fully enclosed pilothouse any time!
  3. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Yes, definitely good for potential buyers to have eyes wide open. Without regard to brand.

Pascoe, in particular, was known for verbally trashing boats/boat brands he didn't like... whether for cause or simply caprice... as if every model of that brand would sink at the dock immediately upon purchase. And that sometimes made it more difficult to weigh his input... to work out how much salt would be required (a grain, or a pound?).

OTOH, I guess that could counter some of the other reviews, where everything is always perfect.

-Chris
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

He certainly was opinionated and sometimes missed the point that not everyone needs a battlewagon. That said, surveyors see a lot of stuff and many articles have photo evidence…

the picture posted early in the thread showing the inaccessible Racor, the questionable fuel tank and other things pretty much says it all.
    Norseman likes this.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yes, That can work;

I Understand this..:D:D
    39' Bertram.JPG
  6. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Yep, agree, important points, in that boat.

-Chris
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

This..

Back in the day I read every article Pascoe cranked out and found the fire and the brimstone fascinating. Yes, he was hard on Carver and a few other brands (Sea-Ray?)
    On the other hand he liked the Glacier Bay Cats and I ended up buying one, but was not impressed with the ride or with the quality.

As for the boat in this thread...I would NOT get the Carver.
    How about a Tiara 3500 Open instead?
    Not a floating condo, less interior space but probably better quality and much more seaworthy. :cool:
  8. Lunderic

Lunderic Member

FYI the SMX Pump uses a different impeller than the Sherwood pump. The SMX is splined and the Sherwood is Keyed. I had one of each at one point as I was replacing failed Sherwood pumps. The Key can be a pita when it falls into the intake hose (done it a couple times) The SMX pump is far superior in my opinion.
  9. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

He once did a review of one of the most popular Bertram's ever built; globally known for her rough water ride and although I don't recall his explicit words he had a negative opinion on her rough water performance. My first experience on the 46.6 which was in production for about 17 years, was ages ago when the Bahamian captain on the one tied up next to us on Paradise Island asked if anyone wanted to run out with him to fish for a couple hours. The winds were howling and sometime during the night seas had gone from fresh to frightening but my then; hot but totally nutty girlfriend was already making tracks to the other boat so what could I do. I was so impressed the top of my agenda when back home was sell the Sea Ray, buy Bertram and never again looked at any Pascoe's reviews.
    Never been on a Carver but was impressed with the quality of Tiara and from what I've read here would have pages back eliminated the brand that sounds like a low end mas produced boat next to Sea Ray and many others that might be ok as a floating hotel but would not want to be caught offshore in one when the winds kick up which I believe most of us here have experienced.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh sheet, the keyed shafts were the earlier pumps. I remember them.
    It was easier to remove the engine mount and pull the whole damm pump than service it in place.
    I remember a mod to the motor mount, so you could remove the pump without pulling the mount.
    Looking back at that top down view (post #27). The raw pump is below the Bosch HP fuel pump, aft of that Racor fuel filter.
    All one handed work while laying on the engine.
    FM
    My back is aching just remembering this mess.

Further help on the keyed shaft, remove the cover and turn the motor by hand till you could see the impeller key grove in the 12 :00 position, then pull the impeller.
    I used heavy grease to hold the key in place. A bud of mine used super glue.

I remember an old pump with a square rod key.
    Install the impeller then rotate till the impeller and shaft grove lined up, then install the square rod like a key.
    I think that was the even earlier Sherwood knuckle test.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    Lunderic likes this.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Also, re-read post 47. Pascal was correct about the labor charges to fix things. He refers to the fuel filter.
    Imagine the labor for that raw pump service.

Then go back to the pictures in post #27.
    How do you get to the bottom zinc on the air cooler or even the starter?
    There is a secondary fuel filter under there somewhere also.

Oh my aching back.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  12. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Yep, been there, done that...

But some don't really intend to get out there. OP suggested their intentions are about The Loop, and AFAIK most of that is either semi-protected waters, discretionary routes that might be more challenging (offshore Atlantic or Gulf Coasts vs. AICW or GICW), or the Great Lakes where weather planning can maybe solve a lot. Even short runs to the Bahamas can usually be weather-managed well enough... if folks intend to use a "price point" boat as a "floating hotel."

Not advocating for or against any specific solution here; just recognizing that not everyone needs or can afford the best boat in the whole free world.

I wouldn't buy a boat I couldn't service (most of) either... but that's not a question of brand... it would be more specific instances of boats.

-Chris
    GPO and MBevins like this.
  13. Tams

Tams New Member

What ended up happening? Did you ever find a boat?
  14. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Ran into the following when reading one of his old reviews on a 25' Contender.

Yes, I've seen the comments on the forums about my boat reviews, by those who tool around in the bays in their Bayliners and Carvers. They call me a pessimist with a black cloud over my head. Ah, well, folks, I'm the adventurous sort who likes to head to the out islands in a small boat at high speed. To places that aren't covered in concrete and condominiums. That means a lot of deep water, shallow water, water with strong currents, coral heads near the surface, and very rough, confused seas. Places that are hard to get to. I'm not about to fool around with a floating camper. In 30+ years of boating, I've never had to be towed home because I believe in O'Tool's Law. O'Tool? Yes, he's the guy who thought Murphy was overly optimistic. The ocean is not a compassionate liberal; it hears no excuses and cuts no slack for anyone. An equal opportunity employer of calamity to the unwary. I've seen too many people go out never to return, or return without their boats. Me, I intend to return, and to never have a boat go out from under me, at least not one that I own. Besides, I couldn't stand the embarrassment. So for those of you who think I'm too hard on fair weather boats, well there are plenty of other internet sites that will tell you exactly what you want to hear. Me, I prepare for the worst, because it often happens.
    unsinker likes this.