Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Mulder

WHAT happens to a boat sitting in water for TWO years?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Sunni, Jan 20, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

2 1/2 year dock queen in FL? Anything connected to raw water is toast. Sherwood raw water pumps to start. Another 2$K per engine.

The heat exchangers were durable (both models). Turbo and dump cans are suspect also.

Somebody please send me the ad lead.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

the 5.9 was the B-Series wasn’t it? 6 BTA? Confused. The C is 8.3 isn’t it?
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You are correct sir.
    Started looking at the HP per model and confused my self and messed up my typing.
    The stretched out 5.9s started making the HP of the early 8.3s.
    Then the 6, 6.2s ( I think still Bs) and later really starting overlapping the sleeping 8.3s (later Cs)
    Another reason I fell in luv with the 8.3s so fast.
    I don't think they (8.3s) were ever stretched out so far (650HP) till the M's (11s) became popular.
  4. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

It's most likely a mechanical 370 bta. I owned a new pair that vintage. Cr came soon afterwards. Good motors if all normal maintenance is done and not over loaded. NOT a fan of carvers.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

370hp seems to be quite a bit out of 5.9 liter / 360 cid Fine if well maintained and not over propped.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That is 370HP @ 3000 RPM. Ouch!
    2200 to 2400RPM was the sweet speed spot. Top of the torque curve.

Re-powered a buds Ole Bertram from Merc LBCs to the 5.9s. Boat never slowed down climbing an offshore swell or muscling thru a bad inlet from 1800 to 2000 RPM.
    I miss that boat.
  7. Sunni

Sunni New Member

Your continued responses are so helpful! I'm sorry Captain Ralph~I do not have the original ad (it was not broker listed, but through a private seller). Question for Captain Ralph: where are the air charge coolers located that you stated are probably "toast" and why? Is this somethingthat will show up on our survey?

Attached are a few pictures of the engine that perhaps can be of help?

As far as the engine hours: we do know the owners (original) bought the boat and used it in Canadian/northern USA waters before having it brought to FL (via a Cpt). The owners then used the boat on 1 or 2 excursions to the Bahamas. Otherwise the boat has been sitting in a marina with a monthly start (I do not know if it was put into gear during those starts as someone suggested).

Attached Files:

8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Is that the fuel tank crammed against the engine in the first picture? Looks like rust on the tank surface next to the racor. If these tanks are original they are likely close to the end of their useful life

Speaking of the Racor, the bottom is pretty much unreachable. How do service this thing.

same question about the 90 degree elbow next to the generator, looks like bronze with green corrosion. Can’t see what it is attached too because of the floor frame but whatever it is it seems impossible to reach and service… strainer? Air con pump? Can’t see it

this boat seems to be a service nightmare. I know it s tough to cram two diesel in a small boat but maintenance costs always go thru the roof when it takes 3 times longer to do a job.
  9. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Also the fan in the second photo, aside from being partially detached, is something I'd expect to see on a small bowrider.
    The exhaust pipe looks in remarkably good conditions for the boat age, though.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Looks like the turbo and exhaust/dump can has had some recent work.
    Nice paint job on the heat exchanger and expansion tank.
    New decals?
    The air cooler case is made of aluminum. The core is nichol/brass. There are two zinc points to help keep the alloy corrosion down.
    Cummin's dock queens have a problem here. They fill with crud and the alloy case corrodes and fille with white mud.
    Looking at the HE and turbo work (fresh paint and no paint), I hope these were recently looked at.
    engine 1a.JPG
    Please consider a real Cummins tech to check this out for you.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    Sunni likes this.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My other comment about the raw water pump.
    Sherwood was the mfg who made the original raw water pumps for Cummins marine.
    What a cheap POS pump.
    SMX makes an exact replacement pump with out the headaches. Also uses the same impeller.
    Sunni likes this.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The in-line bilge blower may not be a big deal. Just not secured properly.
    Carver Ventilation overall for ER and bilges; I consider poor.
    Sunni likes this.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That green-strip Gates hose will fail soon. No need for those bends.
    Sunni likes this.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Servicing the bottom of that Racor filter will be a challenge. Typical Carver.
    There will be many other Carver service issues to be had;
    I recall AC and ducts under the mater bed was a challenge,
    shower sumps, black water services.
    But then, it's a Carver; it looks good..
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Whisky Tango Foxtrot is this hose for??
    engine 1b.JPG
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Still don't understand 700 hours on a 21+ year old boat.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yes, Carver fuel tanks suck. After 21+ years, if they have not been replaced,, soon..
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The dump can hose clamps are wrong and already look stressed. Needs replacements soon.
    Needed to be doubled clamped on that green stripped hose to hold that wrong hose in place.
    Every drop of raw water that that engine uses goes thru that hose to cool the exhaust, then over board.
    I can't quote the numbers that flow thru/out, but it is far greater than what your bilge pumps can remove. No slack here allowed.

It is these little things that a real Cummins MARINE tech need to get in there and survey well.
    Then a real tech to get it rite.
    You don't need issues on the loop when BuBa comes in to help...
  19. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

I sure hope the surveyor did all of that. They will trip all the GFIs.
    Great point on the water. Interestingly my survey was in pouring rain. Dry as a bone. Not so after actually purchasing and using the boat. Turns out the Previous Owner had done some DIY window caulking and it took some shake and bake of the hull to get our water leaks to appear. Moral of the story is that water ingress may not show up on a boat in the rain if the previous owner has done some recent caulking handy work. Of course a close eye can find old water damage, again this is buyer pre-inspection and surveyor job number 1.
  20. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Apologies to the OP for going slightly O/T, but are you possibly aware also of a replacement for the Sherwood pump fitted in the Cat 3116 engines - and where to source it?
    A friend of mine has already replaced those crap pumps twice, an I'm sure he'd love to fit something better, if available.