Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Walker

WHAT happens to a boat sitting in water for TWO years?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Sunni, Jan 20, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Sunni

Sunni New Member

We are looking at purchasing a Carver 396 (2001) for traveling the Loop. The first 1/2 of it's life was in fresh water, the second in salt water. The boat has roughly 700 hours on both engines and generator. We hired a surveyor and that's when things got interesting.
    The engines started up just fine and then the generator was started BUT after just 5 minutes or so, the generator stopped. Just stopped..no spitting or sputtering. Attempts to restart always ended up with it stopping. A haul-out inspection was scheduled at a marina already so we travelled up there and completed that.
    Sea trial was next on our agenda, but the engines started running HOT. Our surveyor said the engine room smelled warm and the gauges showed an increase in temperature (from 180 to 198 degrees). Sea trial was scrapped and we headed back to the home marina.
    MY QUESTION: this boat sat in dock without being used (except for a monthly engine start) for 2 1/2 years. Is this to be a concern?? It's located in Florida. No visible exterior damage (water/corrosion, etc) except the Eisenglass and canvas needs to be replaced. The owner had the fuel polished prior to taking off as well as fresh oil and all filters replaced.
    We would appreciate any and all advice! We are retired and would be spending our savings on this boat..just want to make sure its the right decision!
    THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH!
  2. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Heat exchangers, intakes, etc probably all packed with marine growth and blocking water flow.
    cleanslate, GPO and MBevins like this.
  3. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

Attach a flow meter to what the water flow is, I agree with the Dock.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Raw water pump impellers on all.
    Sunni and cleanslate like this.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Gas or diesel? What brand engines and gen

Some gas gens don’t like to sit…

Indeed sitting for 2+years is never good. A monthly start up helps as long as the engines are brought to temp and briefly put in gear. Having had a recent oil change means you can’t do an oil analysis…

seller need to address the overheating and gen issue but at this time you re already out the survey and yard costs. This is why one should always do a sea trial before survey to make sure they are no major issues, especially with a boat that’s been sitting
    buckknekkid, Sunni and bliss like this.
  6. mapism

mapism Senior Member

The OP mentioned a monthly start.
    While this of course can't stop the marine growth on intakes and heat exchangers that DM suggested, I would expect it at least to be enough to keep impellers in decent shape.
    Not saying they are OK (who could?!), but I'd rather check possible raw water restrictions first.
    Sunni likes this.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

No telling how old the impellers were before the boat was stored.

Monthly starts. On the fence about this.
    Never up to temp and if just warmed, a condensation magnet.
    It does move some oil and works the valves.

This model boat came with LBCs or Cummins 6s.
    Sunni likes this.
  8. Sunni

Sunni New Member

Thank you all so very much for responding to my query! The owner just had a generator tech run full diagnostics on it and there was a loose wire from where some recent new equipment had been installed (there were no other problems located and gen is running fine).
    I wasn't aware that doing a sea trial should be done FIRST (learning as we go, I guess)!
    We still have the issue with the engines that over-heated...our surveyor is fantastic but on repeat inspection (now that the gen is running) will the issues everyone here listed be observed or visible?
    BLISTERS...the bottom has 100-200. Were advised repair would run $15-20K (sandblasting with fiberglass repair and bottom paint).
    I'm adding up all this and seeing A LOT of $$...I've heard the phrase "A boat-owner's favorite day is when he buys a boat and when he sells it"....IS ALL THIS NORMAL OR ARE WE GETTING IN OVER OUR HEADS? My husband has experience in smaller boats and engines but...
    Thanks again for all your help!!!
  9. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Sounds like the vessel has possibilities.
    Are you guys in love with the layout and the interior that’s a long trip that loop.
    You really want a comfortable boat.

it’s all in negotiations. Deduct the blister repair from the asking price.
    Insist the seller gets the engines up and running 100% before you close the deal.

if they don’t want to do the engine work budget at least another $10,000 if they are diesel engines off the asking price.
    I wouldn’t purchase it if it was a gas boat in my opinion diesel only.

After all said and done sounds like you have a nice boat.

Little bit of advice try and survey it in the rain.
    That’ll help bring out the cabin top leaks and window leaks if there are any.
    Make sure all systems are working while at the dock ; air-conditioning all the galley equipment check all the heads make sure that they all work.
    Check all the sinks and showers make sure the waterworks.
    Make sure the hot water heater works.
    Ask the survey or to double check fuel and water tanks for leaks.
    Sunni likes this.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Send us the web address for this sale, This may give us more details than asking you lots of questions.
    Was the gen-set run under load (ACs, water heater, stove-oven) for a while?
    There are a lot of Carvers out there.
    IMO; Carver boats had lots of style to catch shoppers eyes but not the best boat out there.
    Your looking at a 21+ year old Carver. Suspect everything.
    700 hours on 21+ year old engines?
    That could be another birds nest.
    Maybe gas replacements. Birds nest just got larger.

If you are planning on da big loop. Pick up some guides and study distance between fuel pumps.
    This may help determine your range, speed, vessel fuel (water) capacity and engine (fuel) type.
    With these notes in mind, Twin big gas engines and small fuel tanks may eliminate some models while shopping.

Also in the loopers guides are notes on vertical clearances. Some bridges are low and fixed.

I've never done the big loop. but we have traveled. 1350 gallons of diesel has looked thin a couple of times.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    Sunni likes this.
  11. Sunni

Sunni New Member

Wow, again thanks for all the enlightening information!
    I'm sorry if I neglected to include some information. I tried to remember as much as I could. The boat has a 370hp diesel engine. We do like the layout of the boat, it is what attracted us to it in the first place, and was within our allotted budget.
    I appreciate the advice on negotiations like cleanslate recommended! It truly ALL does come down to satisfaction of the survey and negotiations. There are very few Carver 396 diesels available here in Florida which could make negotiations challenging.
    Thank you all so very much for responding to my thread. I've never owned a boat...so for me ALL of this is new!
    mike Hartley likes this.
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

You Sure?

They came with twin Volvo 370 Diesels, or twin 8.2 liter gas engines.
    Probably not a single..:cool:
  13. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I'm also not a fan of monthly runs at idle, in spite of the fact that it's a very popular approach around here.
    When during winter I'm not moving my boat possibly for 4 or 5 months in a row, I prefer to just rotate them manually by 190 degrees every 3 or 4 weeks, but without cranking them.
    If nothing else, this moves the impellers, and any open valve is closed.

My previous comment was not meant to support monthly runs in general, just that at least it's good for the impellers - which could still be bad anyway, of course!
  14. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Yup, I suppose that "a 370hp diesel" was a typo.
    But didn't they use Cummins rather than VPs?
    Norseman likes this.
  15. Sunni

Sunni New Member

You guys on here are so on top of everything...I feel kind of lame. Yes, the boat has TWO 370hp cummins diesel engines.
    Thank you again for the advice! Should anyone need any medical advice, I am certainly more qualified in that department after 30 years (paramedic)! Sunny days are ahead, right?
  16. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Maybe all of the above:
    I took a quick look at 396s for sale in Florida and found a few, including
    this one:

daydreamer4 likes this.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Carver had their deal of the weeks on gas power. Mostly VP & Merc LBCs. Once we worked on a Carver/Crusader LBC install.
    WorsterBreaks, Oh-No and Kohler on the gas gen-sets.
    Diesel, Mostly Cummin's 6s and Oh-No D gen-sets.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The Cummins are pretty bulletproof, at 370hp they must must be C series 6CTAs unless by 2001 they were electronic, not sure when that started. 370hp is pretty conservative for these engines and easier to maintain and get parts than Volvos.
    Sunni likes this.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The 370 was near the last of the mechanical (Bosch - HO) 5.9L Cummins. There was a few more higher HP versions but the engine life was reduced and those models were short lived.
    Then the slightly larger displacement C series started coming available.
    You can only extract only so much dependable HP from so much Displacement (3208 owners still have issues here).
    Parts are certainly still available. Correct parts WITH serial number in hand.
    Attached is a note from my salvaged files.

Attached Files:

20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I still question a 21 year old boat with 700 hours.
    If original (really?) flags do arise quickly.
    Ya know the original air charge coolers (alloy) are toast. Could be the overheating issue. If so, about 10$K per engine for new.