Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Lurssen Click for Llebroc

What Happened to Project Sassi

Discussion in 'Lurssen Yacht' started by ApreMare, Jul 11, 2019.

1. ApreMare

ApreMare Senior Member

It was so unfortunate to see the project Sassi so close to launch get destroyed by the fire at the dry dock. Does anyone have info as to what happened to the damaged in built yacht? Any pictures from above any info as to if the owner and Lurssen with the insurance company will decide to salvage the build? Any info is appreciated. Thanks
  2. nmna

nmna Senior Member

I recon that the people with this knowledge probably aren't allowed to divulge it on a public forum but I think Project Sassi was supposed to be the new 'Al Mirqab'.

When you check the full list of yachts with Tai Ping carpets, there's an 142m 'Al Mirqab' design by Winch Designs and built by Luerssen. This company usually 'lists' a new yacht when they're about to be launched and this Al Mirqab listing is sitting on Tai Ping site for quite some time - if it wasn't for that terrible fire I assume Sassi would've been launched by now.

But I can be completely wrong . Those magicians at Luerssen can make 140m yachts appear like it's nothing, so the newer Al Mirqab might pop up some day without us noticing :)
  3. NikoBremen

NikoBremen Senior Member

She is in Hamburg and scrapped right now. There are pictures from above, just google...

I heard, that she would be the new Coral Island, but no idea if it is true.

But we will know in the future because Lürssen is building a new version of her right now.
  4. ApreMare

ApreMare Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the replies I've searched and found some pics online, it must be the most secretive scrapping of all time. I guess Lurssen will make it its business to launch the new Sassi in record time. They are in a league of their own.
  5. Gage Rowden7

Gage Rowden7 Senior Member

Really? I hope so! I liked what I saw from the few photos online.
  6. Gage Rowden7

Gage Rowden7 Senior Member

I'm really looking forward to see if they can build a new one in record time. Lurssen should then be crown king of yacht builders then if they are not already.