Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

What does it take to be FREE?

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by DocRon, Nov 12, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DocRon

DocRon Member

But with a ton of money you certainly have more options!!! Freedom of choice!
  2. DocRon

DocRon Member

Visa finally granted

Just a follow up. I finally got my Schengen after waiting for 3 weeks. It was a very frustrating process but next time I know better. Thet say we learn from our mistakes. I believe we can learn from other peoples mistakes as well.

If one is applying for a Schengen visa from outside your home country I would advise you to also give it 3 weeks and make sure you have all your supporting documents exactly how they want (see my previous posts). All my documents were in order but I applied via the French Consulate in London.

Hope this helps someone!

I am still looking for my freedom on a yacht!!
  3. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I frankly have no problem with foreigners that have visa problems in the USA when they come to work in the marine industry. I am at a distinct disadvantage in my own country due this. It was hard for me to find work in the yacht world because of competition- and the lower wages they bring. I spent my first year after 12 years living outside the mainland looking for work in/near lauderdale and could not find a decent job at living wages.
  4. DocRon

DocRon Member

I am sorry to hear how difficult it is for you to get work in the marine industry...welcome to the real world.

If all foreigners left Ft Lauderdale or any other yachting haven the marine industry would almost collapse. If you want a job in this industry you just got to be in right place at right time and know a couple of influential people along the way. And don't forget to be better qualified than the next guy/girl.

Competition is not a bad thing for most people and countries for that matter. It keeps prices down and people qualified.

I finally left the industry and gone back to working as a chiropractor....although I still dream of working on large yachts. I thought my qualifications ( Chiro, Dive instructor, Master of yachts 200t, STCW) would get me somewhere but guess I was in wrong place at wrong time and did not know enough influential people. I do not regret it and it is nice to be working again helping people out of pain..... life is not that bad after all.

Good luck!!
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

In this economy I doubt their absence would be noticed except for upper rank.
    That kind of depends if you're the guy hiring or the one looking to earn a living as you found out.
    I am truly sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. It's not exactly the most secure profession. Best of luck to you. Maybe you can just earn enough money to buy a yacht and enjoy it. Let us know if you need any crew.;)
  6. DocRon

DocRon Member

Thanks NYCAP123. To own a yacht would be awesome and guess one should never say never. Think big and dream big and never give up!!! I believe that everything happens for a reason and we should always make the best of the situation at hand. At least I had alternatives to turn back on.

With the global economic crisis I am just grateful to have a job and more importantly a profession that I can help people. Gratitude goes a long way and more will be given to those whom are grateful.

I look forward to remaining abreast with all latest developments in the yachting world with Yacht Forums.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

"When I was working on yachts and on the island I was HORRIFIED by the amount of food that went to waste. There is so much waste as we cater for this elite group of people who can afford to own yachts and islands. We go out of our way to make their time on the yacht/ island the best possible vacation of their life. They are the ones paying our salary so what can we say?"

when i read something like this, i cant help wondering why you are choosing to work in this field?

as to visas, well let me ask you how easy it would be for me to buy a one way ticket to South Africa and travel there looking for work. Will South African authorities welcome me or will they tell me to take a hike and go back to where i came from?

why should there be double standards and why should the US open its borders to anyone who wants to walk the docks?
  8. DocRon

DocRon Member

9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"Foreign flag vessels do prefer to hire non US citizens..... maybe thats because we do have a greater global awareness."

Quite frankly, the owner, captain, and crewing agency doesn't give a rat's a** about your "global awareness." As long as you look good, work long and hard without whining, and get along with others you will probably stay employed.

Americans are all the above but tend to stick up for their own well being and are not above fighting a wrong so are seen to be "litigious" by those who prefer the hirelings to be seen and not heard.

You are perfectly welcome to come to Fort Lauderdale and look for work. Just make sure you tell the immigration guy that you are "yearning to be free" are poor, have no assets at home, and have come to walk around the boatyards looking for work.
  10. DocRon

DocRon Member

Thanks Marmot, I look forward to that at some stage. Luckily I have family who live there so I don't have to lie to immigration officials. I spent quite a lot of time down in Lauderdale and quite enjoyed it.

I am now free, have some assets and have a decent professional job so no need to walk the boatyards, although it was fun whilst I did it.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

considering the words you are using, you're probably better off working in other fields... try Greenpeace or oceanic research...

don't assume things about people... i don't care much for these intellectually superior terms like "global awareness" that make those using them feel good about themself... yes, i am aware of people starving to death around the world but the old cliché of the rich wasting food is getting real old.

You seem to forget that the US is the country which spends the most throughout the world on various humanitarian missions. aid to Africa for instance has drastically increased between 2001 and 2008... so don't' lecture Americans on helping the poor and enhance they global awareness.

yeah, our unemployment as risen to 7% but we still look pretty good compared to most of the world... Some European nations would be thrilled to have 7% unemployment... and at the risk of sending this thread into a political no man's land, you seem to be forgetting that the roots of the current financial crisis come, in part, from programs to expand home ownership to those who couldn't afford it via risky loans. I said "in part" I know there are other reasons, but this is one of them...

I'm sorry that South African face more hassle when traveling... but as you said it's not just to travel to the US but around the world. Some countries are seen as a higher risk for illegal immigration and people overstaying their visas. that's the way it is... it's not just SA but many other nations as well.

I know FLL is a big yachting hub, if anyone is allowed to fly in, breeze thru immigration and look for work on American docks, there is no control about them not taking jobs on land or over staying their visas. Unlike many other countries, freedom is taken seriously here and for instance cops can't just stop you on the dock or sidewalk and say "Papier, Bitte"... heck, even if they pull you over for running a red light, they're not allowed to ask about your immigration status!

there is a legal way to do this, just follow the rules.

and you haven't' answered my question about going to South Africa trying to get a job on a boat... am i allowed to do that? i don't' think so. why should it be different here? FLL isn't' the only yachting capital... the French Riviera is equally busy, do you think the EU allows non EU citizens to come in an walk the docks?
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

At the moment the answer to this is YES.

Once you are inside the Schengen area there are no borders and no restriction on where you can go which is what makes Europe such an attractive target for illegal migrants.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

well, once you're inside the EU then yes you can walk the docks looking for work... but in order to get in, you still need to clear in and for this you need a Visa if you're coming from many countries... *

how is it different from coming to the US?

* afaik, here is the list of countries whose nationals dont' need a Schengen visa: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Bermuda, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Holy See, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Singapore, South Korea, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela
  14. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"I am now free, have some assets and have a decent professional job so no need to walk the boatyards, although it was fun whilst I did it."

The yearning didn't last long then, maybe it's a good thing you didn't get that dream job of a lifetime if "freedom" was only 2 months away from your first cloying post. Quitting the boat to find freedom at home wouldn't look good on the yachting resume.

I am glad you are happy and free. Enjoy it and remember to clean your plate.
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I think you have answered your own question there Pacal as none of the countries in your list are EU Countries.
  16. DocRon

DocRon Member

"The yearning didn't last long then, maybe it's a good thing you didn't get that dream job of a lifetime if "freedom" was only 2 months away from your first cloying post."

I was in and out of USA for 15 months. I never overstayed my visa as I did deliveries and worked on a private island in Bahamas. I then went down to French Riviera and looked around there but it was bad timing unfortunately.

"Quitting the boat to find freedom at home wouldn't look good on the yachting resume."

I am not in SA at present. I have a work visa in Namibia and grateful to be helping people again. I don't believe I will ever quit the yachting industry, hence my participation in YF. However one needs to work and I am lucky I had alternatives other than just working on boats.

"I am glad you are happy and free."
    Thanks Marmot. Yes it is nice to be working again and using knowledge and skills which took 6 years of college to complete.

"Enjoy it and remember to clean your plate."

Please explain?