Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Walker Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander

What defines an Expedition Yacht?

Discussion in 'Popular Yacht Topics' started by YachtForums, Mar 18, 2013.

1. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Thank you K1W1, I stand corrected, I was told by FDDA that the 396 TB 92 & 94s last production was 2011 and I confirmed it online @ MTU s site for the production runs of MTU engines. After reading your post and now drilling down on line I see the 396 is available in 12 and 16 cyl models from Friedrichshafen 1 and the Suzhou plant in China as a TE- 74L only. looking at the photos I doubt if many of the same castings were used as it looks like a new generation of motor front to back but is still a 396. Thanks for setting the record right.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

No need to say thanks, I was curious after being told none were available but knowing that they were being used in some projects thought as I was going to a FAT would ask while there.

I was lucky enough top get a walk thru the production facility for the first time since 1988, not much seems to have changed just some of the models being built.

The ones I saw all seemed to have a different valve cover arrgt to what I recall and the ones I saw had a whole plethora of other stuff hanging off them and the skids they were attached to but I was assured it was the exact same engine I had worked on many years ago.
  3. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Surely this Ship is more value than $180K just to take the parts off it?
    Why is this ship at only $180K?
  4. TeKeela

TeKeela Member

There looks to be 15k in VEI screens, another 50-60K that I could see of other nav equipment. At least a couple decent CATs in there. What's the caveat? you have to take it home on a trailer? And well over 100 tons of scrap metal. This must be one of those listings that get posted with a ridiculous price to get people talking about it.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

If the price is ridiculous in any way it's way too high. Used navigation equipment does not get a very good return. The cost of salvaging metal from boats often exceeds what it brings in return. The environmental risk associated with a vessel like this from the day one owns it is huge and the likelihood of easily insuring it is low. Just the work necessary to get an insurance survey and the deficiencies corrected is likely huge. One can spend hundreds of thousands rehabbing a boat like this and, if lucky, the boat will then be worth half of what they just put in it.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

7. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Same story here, cost $78M to build has been on sale for $6M yet still no takers!