Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for MotorCheck Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

What brand Bay boat or Skiff 17-19' for inshore fishing.

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by Capt J, May 22, 2021.

1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've been out of inshore fishing for decades and just getting back into it. Thinking about buying a bay boat or skiff in this size range as I have a storage limitation that precludes me from going larger. Basically for doing inshore fishing around Chokoloskee, flamingo, and other places like that. So far I've been looking at the Mako pro skiff 17' which is very beamy and stable and very capable for fishing due to it's beam and square shape. Also have my eyes on a Mako 18' LTS. How is the quality on Mako? What else is there in that size? Sea Pro? Key West? Carolina Skiff? who builds a good boat under 19' without spending $100k on a Yellowfin.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Parker, BW dauntless, Lund. There really are so many boats in this category that you can go nuts looking. Fiberglass or Aluminum? Bass or flats boat or CC or tiller steer? How important is speed? Do you also intend to take it to the ocean or will it be strictly for inland and backwater? Like with most boat purchases start with how you plan to use it and what your budget is.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Fiberglass, center console, bay boat (saltwater) or flats no bassboat. Yes mostly inland/backwater saltwater. I've been looking at Mako Proskiff 17' and Mako LTS 18'. But unsure of Mako quality these days and also what else is out there.
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

A few years ago I saw a flats boat called the Chaos 16, designed to capture the outerbanks elements. Looks a little like a Buddy Davis hull, complete with a chopping block helm station. If I recall, the price was ridiculous.

In this range, you may want to look at Scouts. Lots of them in the market. Attractive boats, classic sheer line, great ergonomics. I can't give you any feedback on build quality, but the hulls of the Scouts in the 21 to 25 range feel a little flimsy when I knock on 'em.

Attached Files:

5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm regulated to about a 19' boat. I have only 9' between my A/C unit and side fence, and 18' in front of it and will probably have to wiggle it the remaining 5' back by hand. I do see a 2019 19' Scout bay boat for sale (I see a lot of difference brands in my size that stopped producing under 20' bay boats around 2019 such as scout, Cobia, Pathfinder, etc. etc.) that looks good and has nice lines. I manage a 25' Scout and it's a bit tippy when walking from one side to the other compared to a 25' whaler cc that feels solid in comparison. Hewes is another option, but they're a more hard core flats boat.......

Kind of looking at Mako either the 17' Proskiff or 18' LTS only because I've seen them in person. Rented a 17' pro skiff for a day (and a 15' Pro skiff for a day), which sparked my interest in inshore/near shore/flats fishing again. And can get one brand new, outfit it the way I want it, with full warranties, at a good price. But a little leery as I hear various quality issues, but most of those seem to date 2012-2015.
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I like my Cobia 175 skiff, seems to be good quality with the non-skid surface looking brand new after 16 years.
    Previous owner converted it to hydraulic steering making it a bit challenging to “drive” as the motor doesn’t turn much and the bottom is almost flat, hence you are going sideways in a Port turn, rather than turning. (I always turn to Starboard in narrow canals, prop-walk is your friend on this boat.:eek:)

AAAC3D7F-357C-4583-9921-5CF3843B6F3A.jpeg