Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Westport

What boat was the star of the movie Overboard?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Surf Cruise, Feb 20, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JeffM

JeffM New Member

Hi, I was wondering if you could answer another question on the yacht from "Overboard"..…..... In the movie, the yacht hits it's horn , what is the name of that horn? Also heard the same horn periodically throughout the movie "the watcher". Looking to purchase that type of horn possibly. Thanks for the help!
  2. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

3. mackwoman2000

mackwoman2000 New Member

This has been bothering me for some time. I believe that the former Attessa became the Huntress on which I was privileged to stay a weekend on in La Paz in April 1997. Here are a couple of articles I found online. (Sorry for the resurrection)
    1)
    The first yacht to be named Attessa became yet another one of Washington's rebuild projects. After purchasing the 130ft Yecats built by Kong & Halvorsen in 1984, Washington lengthened the yacht to 142ft and renamed it to Attessa. The yacht later appeared in the movie "Indecent Proposal". It was then sold to George Argyros and renamed to Huntress before catching fire and sinking off the coast of Greece in 1998.
    2)
    In Overboard (1987), the 130-foot Yecats from Kong & Halvorsen in Glenorie, Australia (which was renamed the Attessa in 1992 and the Huntress in 1998), was featured as the S.S. Immaculata. (The same boat was also featured in 1993's Indecent Proposal, which stars Woody Harrelson and Demi Moore.)
    I remember the Engineer in 1997 referring to the owner as "Mr. A." The article in #1 above would confirm that - I never knew the name of the owner other than Mr. A.

My deepest sympathies to Mr. A and his family in the loss of their son George Argyros Jr. in 2020.
  4. mackwoman2000

mackwoman2000 New Member

It turns out that I was correct.

The first yacht to be named Attessa became yet another one of Washington's rebuild projects. After purchasing the 130ft Yecats built by Kong & Halvorsen in 1984, Washington lengthened the yacht to 142ft and renamed it to Attessa. The yacht later appeared in the movie "Indecent Proposal". It was then sold to George Argyros and renamed to Huntress before catching fire and sinking off the coast of Greece in 1998*.

*Fire breaks out in engine room of US yacht, no injuries

A fire broke out early today in the engine-room of the US yacht "Huntress" while it was sailing in international waters 70 nautical miles west of Cephalonia.

The operations centre of the Merchant Marine Ministry immediately notified all vessels sailing in the region, which sped to the yacht's assistance.

The "Huntress" was eventually spotted by a US naval vessel which picked up the crew and passengers of the yacht - in all eight US citizens - none of whom were hurt.

The crew and passengers were to be taken to Corfu.

Despite efforts, the fire could not be extinguished and the yacht is presently drifting semi-submerged.

***I believe the former Engineer, Joe O'Donnell owns a bed and breakfast and fishing excursion business near Ontario Canada with his wife who he met on the Huntress.
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/joe-o-donnell-41328111/?originalSubdomain=ca
  5. mackwoman2000

mackwoman2000 New Member

6. costalive

costalive Member

Yep
  7. grantza

grantza New Member

Definately was attessa (see my post on pg2)
    A friend of mine was crew.
    I've got plenty photo's and videos.
    There is a nice video of the crew returning to her moored at Stuart Island (vancouver), where Dennis Washington owns property.