Click for Abeking Click for Lurssen Click for Nobiskrug Click for Shipyard Click for United

What are the options today for 32 volt systems on older yachts?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Wally Young, Jun 2, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Wally Young

Wally Young New Member

Is it better change the system to 36 volts (batteries) and use a voltage reducer to achieve the 32 volts required foe the circuit where needed?
    Will the starter motors on the old gm diesels take 36 volts?
    Engine generator's need to be rebuilt/replaced anyway, to 32 or 36 volts.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

36v isn’t going to work unless you replace the charger and alternators. Why fix something that ain’t broken? The only downside to 32v is that it s harder to find some items like LEDs, pumps etc. so why bother stepping down to 32v? Makes no sense...

You could keep the engines 32V and convert the rest of the boat to 24v with a dedicated house bank and charger. Usually the wiring is thick enough to go from 32 to 24v. You could keep the bilge pumps on the start batteries at 32v
  3. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    I have an 83' boat some previous idiot converted to 12v. I long for my older 32v systems. But now it's hard to find items that run on 32v natively. Maybe because it's all made in China. I ended up installing relays to shorten the power paths and went to an inverter system that lets me run 120/240 ac 24/7. So now only items that absolutely have to run on dc are 12v. Winch, cabin lights, reefer, etc., are all 120/240 ac.
    In the days of 32v, I never had to replace a bilge pump, blower, etc. Items lasted my time with the boat. Now, before installing relays, the 12v stuff (except nav and radios) lasted about a year or two even after installing wiring 2-3 steps above chart recommendations. That, too, maybe because it's all made in China.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I shop and stock 32Vdc options. Sell off my excess to friends down under.

If you have no spares and a pump fails, you may have a problem.
    If you can maintain a spare level,, like you should even if 12 or 24Vdc, then you should have no problems.
    4 x 8V batts in two banks we use for the ship. You can tap off the third battery if you need 24Vdc.
    17 years ago I thought 32V was going to be a problem. 41 year old boat and us are still all happy with 32Vdc systems on board.
    Probably the only concern, Most LED thingies are listed at 32Vdc max.
    Damm things are to expensive for us anyway, not a worry here.
    Please find all my previous threads on this topic the last 15 years I've been on YF.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

BTW, some PNW boats are still most 48Vdc. Most of my spares (most again NIB) come from Canada on e-bay.
    I still have a brand new Raritain 32V charger converter in inventory. Cost more in shipping that what I paid for it.
    Outback makes a great 32Vdc inverter.

Stay 32V.
  6. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

I have stayed with the 32V. I have a Newmar 32V to 24V step-down inverter for my 24V system. My 24V items are toilets, windlass, LED lighting and some bilge pumps.
    I have a 12V system from the battery bank for the generators.

If I have an option to buy 32V or 24V items, I generally buy the 24V because they are easier to find when it comes time to replace them.
  7. dwelch

dwelch New Member

1968 Roamer , still 32 v , redid everything year 2000 , rewired entire boat , by Neptunus in St. Catharines Ont , left engines / 32 , and a couple bildge pumps , installed a couple ac pumps as well as 12v , I have used for 30 years , 2 x 12s and a 6 volt . x 2 banks for engines / 24 for thrusters and heads and winch ...12 for most other house , all fine on my 51 yr old girl