Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Perko Click for Abeking

Westport 112 vs 125, more advice solicited

Discussion in 'Westport Yacht' started by FlyingGolfer, Nov 2, 2018.

1. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

The common thread has been Taylor, who has since moved on.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Taylor worked for Sarin before Westport. 9 years for Sarin and 17 for Westport. A lot of military boats now but Westport built many over the years.
  3. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

There really wasn’t a “before” Westport because the Rust brothers used athe Sarin Hull molds exclusively back in the day, kickin* off with the land mark RPH Motoryacht “Golden Delicious” .
  4. captholli

captholli Senior Member

You'd really have to say that what Rick and Randy Rust were producing in the late 70's early 80s at the Westport WA. facility really is "a before Westport" as its known for today or at least since 1987 or so. They were laying up hulls and selling them unfinished to commercial and pleasure clients. Kind of the same way you'd say or think "before Christensen" (as we know it) as Dave was one of their customers for his first hull.
  5. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Having worked on two different yacht projects with Westport supplied hulls I am well aware of their transition from commercial fishboats, to passenger vessels to some interesting experiments with the military and to building The Westport brand.

And those builds occurred after 1987 as did others, so struggle to understand what “before Westport” really means as their evolution to the brand never had any other name .
  6. captholli

captholli Senior Member

I may be having a senior moment here but remind me who laid up Golden Delicious' s hull and the mold location of this hull? I thought it was the same outfit that laid up Dominos hull in '84 as I was involved out there w/ Randy at that time and then took Domino translantic in '85 for what was then rereferred to as a Westport by Christensen. As I recall the Rust Bro's were the "Before Westport" as they were "Westport" as in Westport yachts, built in Westport WA and at that time they weren't the sole consumer of hull production. Westport came into there own as a builder when Orin Edson brought the Bayliner production methods into play. Many NA's designing Westport's hulls w/ the Rusts for general consumption from commercial to pleasure. Howard Apolloino did several if memory serves me correctly
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  7. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Those hulls were built in Westport.

I thought Dominos was a smaller different hull mold? They also had a place in Hoquiam that did some lay ups on other projects.

The brothers were Westport, starting in 1964 until Orin Edson bought them in 1997, and laid the foundation for series built large composite Motoryachts in the US, hard for me to distinguish the “before” part. There was a time they would build a hull for most anyone, a genius way to keep the lay up crew efficient and working through all the cycles of our Industry.
  8. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Domino was a 95' hull and has NA by Howard. Not the most attractive piece of fiberglass floating and certainly not as attractive as G.D. with that fine entry. I look at this scenario of producing hulls to be finished by other builders and the quandary of branding like the Christensen hull that was finished by Delta Marine. I mean what do you really call a boat that's more Delta than anything else? I believe that just the hull shipped out to Seattle cross braced without the major machinery components in place. In my mind that's really a Delta but then we know Delta's not about to muddy the waters claiming that no so great hull design. I'm sure that vessels builds quality surpasses anything that came out of Vancouver WA.
  9. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Howard Apollonia did the design for a hull mold at Christensen when they went more organic.

Westport, under the Rust Brothers, eventually got away from selling some bare hulls to a few independents and focused the brand with the new 112. That laid the groundwork and a nice cash out when Orin stepped in and accelerated the brand with the capital investment only he could provide.
  10. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

BTW, Irish Wake is a great moniker...
  11. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

We think marinas will be our preference also, most of the time.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There is a used 130' Westport that will be at the Miami show as well as a couple of 112's. If you go to Miamiyachtshow.com it lists all or most of the yachts that will be there if you search.