Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service

Westerbeke 15kw generator

Discussion in 'Generators' started by angelosauto, May 8, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. angelosauto

angelosauto New Member

I have a 1989 Westerbeke 15kw diesel generator, was working great last time I used it, had surgery and didn’t fire it up for 6 months, when I did it started right up but no power coming out of it when I switch it to generator, some mentioned it needs field to be RE-excited, any ideas? Has anyone had this issue?
  2. Capt Cole

Capt Cole Member

Check the breaker on the gen. Make sure it didn’t trip or get turned off.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The exciting winding has lost it's magnetism. Not enough flux to create any field of electricity to make an emp cloud.
    So much for self exciting..
    Re-excite the back end as per the owners manual.
  4. angelosauto

angelosauto New Member

Don’t think theres any breakers on genset only in salon panel
  5. angelosauto

angelosauto New Member

Thanks will call Westerbeke Monday and see what they say, thought maybe someone else came across with this issue and could share what they did. Had replaced back end with a reconditioned one from Westerbeke 5yrs ago when manifold sprung a pinhole leak which shorted it out, don’t remember having to excited it when I installed it‍♂️
  6. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Absolutely should go double check. Westerbekes do have a main breaker on the generator end of the unit. Go revisit it. I can't think of a generator I've owned that didn't have one. It should be on the same housing where your panel feed ties in. Looks like a big junction box...