Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Furuno

Westerbeke 15kw BTDC generator

Discussion in 'Generators' started by CSkipR, Mar 15, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Took the heat exchanger off and had it cleaned (1000hr). When I replaced it there is now a small pinhole on the saltwater side (rear) by one of the 4 saltwater bronze struts inside the rear endcap. I'm sure it was not there before. Can this be welded or soldered to where it will work or should I spring for a new exchanger?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Near looks like a perfect hole. Defect, electrolysis, bad joke? Who knows.

Yes, repairs are simple if the area around that hole is in good shape. Silver solder would be preferred. It will take a good tech to do the job quickly. The repair tech will not want any heat transferring to the rods.
    I would not be scared of a good epoxy for a short term repair.
    Epoxy and a little 406 filler should do the job fine, not heat up the rod bundle and have you running in a few.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

REPLACE IT. They're about $700 from Marine Gear (a Westerbeke dealer in Ft. Laud). Those heat exchangers only go about 1,000 hours and chances are all of the heat exchanger is super thin and welding it will destroy it. Check and change your exhaust riser as well.....I'd recommend taking this off and inspecting it, they go about as long as the heat exchanger and could destroy the engine when it goes bad.......Take an AWL and I bet you can press holes in it with the strength of your hand all along the saltwater side. For a temporary and I mean very temporary fix, you could put a brass self tapping screw in the hole to get you home.
  4. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Your right. Decided to replace the heat exchanger because of concern for thin spots in other areas. Will check the exhaust riser. Does it typically come off pretty easily. The heat exchanger took two of us almost 4 hrs the way it is cramed in the area.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It should come off pretty easy.......They're 4 bolts and a raw water hose or two, if I remember correctly.......