Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko

Welcome to the new YachtForums!

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Oct 3, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SFS

SFS Senior Member

Does not duplicate, so I guess you can disregard. And now that I think about it, when I hit "Home" and got logged out, the word "Home" was at the far end of that menu line (without the word "News" to the left of "Home"), so I may have caught things at the perfect split second of a refresh or something. The observed issue did come after a long delay waiting for "New Posts" to load, and I stacked several clicks of "New Posts" ahead of the click for "Home", so it's not impossible that I created the problem at this end.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I was actually referring to Post 113, I apologise for seeming to ignore your later post.

I have tried changing between all the options under the banner and at no time do I get logged out, I have closed my browser and then opened it and clicked on the bookmark button and have come to the site already logged in.

I do not believe I have any different level of righst on this site than any other regular member so am not really sure where to suggest your issues are being generated.
  3. SFS

SFS Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification K1W1.

Regarding closing the window and using a bookmark to come back, and having the benefit of already being logged in - I'll have to try that next. That was my experience on the old forum, have to see if it replicates here. Thanks for reminding me.
  4. SFS

SFS Senior Member

Works perfectly - didn't have to log back in.
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I'm relieved to hear this. The To-Do list is very long right now...

A BIG Thank You to members who are keeping us alerted to threads that need attention.
    MaxPower likes this.
  6. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

Hi Carl,

Since the upgrade, my screen looks ... well ... different ... too many white spaces ... kinda disproportionate ...

I'm attaching a screenshot ...

P.S. please click on the screen shot to see the full page ...

Attached Files:

7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

YF group a lot pickier than JF group aren't we?
  8. leeky

leeky Senior Member

I can't say if it irritated the lurkers enough to inspire them to contribute, but there certainly are a lot less of them viewing YF since the change from vB to XF. Here are the number of viewers during the times I normally view YF. This is a range of numbers taken over several days. (Source: Bureau Of Meaningless Statistics.:p)

vB: 50 to 80 members; 2200 to 2900 guests
    XF: 16 to 24 members; 316 to 439 guests

Maybe they are working on stuff that will knock your socks off.
  9. YachtForums

Traffic will be down until bots recrawl the new XF based YF, re-indexing links. The URL strings are different in XF.
  10. YachtForums

MaxPower,

We chose to display thumbnails of first post images to accompany thread titles on forum display pages, as well as the OP's avatars if an image isn't present in the original post. While the pages might be less symmetrical, they are conveying more information. You now have a visual insight with each thread, not simply text. Accordingly, we're displaying two different size thumbs; the larger being for an image associated with the post.

I know this isn't easy, but we've done our best to emulate YF's old layout and make the transition as seamless as possible. Trust me when I tell, I juggle too many things behind the screen to enjoy change. Ultimately, I believe this is a better way forward. More forums are making the switch and the add-on market is growing.
  11. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

Hi Carl,

Please don't misunderstand me. It was a feedback, not a complaint.

I do understand and appreciate all the hard work and effort you put in to this.

Cheers.
  12. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Noticing some signatures appearing this evening.
  13. NEO56

NEO56 Member

I thought the site logging me off , was a security issue. I really don't have a problem with it either way.
  14. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Carl, Just wanted to let you know, that I've read several of your reviews, and they truly are much more comprehensive than any other magazine reviews I've ever read. Please keep up the good work. And if anyone walks up to you and waves a big fat check in your face to sell YF, please take a poll here prior to selling.
  15. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Carl "Hayirli olsun" let it bring good spell to all...
  16. SFS

SFS Senior Member

Wanted to wait to comment on this until I was sure it was happening almost all of the time: I really enjoy the fact that when I click on a thread title from the list of "New Posts", I am automatically directed to the first post I have not yet read. This happens without me clicking on a page number or the button marked "First Unread", just the thread title. I don't know if the old system could have done this with some tweaking of settings, but I really like that it happens now, without my having taken any action.

Now for the interesting part: Very occasionally, it does not work correctly. For the thread entitled "Dripless Seals Dripping", I have twice (once yesterday, once today) been directed to the top of the last page of the thread, rather than farther down that last page to the last unread (for me) post. Not complaining, just pointing out potentially anomalous behavior.
  17. YachtForums

Sana Salim ederiz! Pürüzsüz ve güvenli seyahatler.
  18. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

More feedback (all for the good of the forum).

As Max has said my screen in the office goes funky too, though this may be due to +125% screen sizing. It's fine at home on a normal screen size.

I'm not a great fan of the FaceBook-type 'likes' or silly trophy points, very immature and pointless.

As you say, a giant leap forwards and a work in progress. Keep up the good work Carl, we really do appreciate it.
    Kevin likes this.
  19. YachtForums

I completely agree on both points Dave. The trophy points ARE silly. There are a number of scripts that will need to be modified for trophies to fall off the mantle and be relegated to a box in the closet. It's on the punch list.

On Facebook... I'm not sure yet. I don't use FB and frankly, I don't get it! I can understand connecting with old friends or keeping up with current friends, but for business... I think it's a joke. That said, maybe I'm missing something, so the FB buttons will stay because it may be a source of traffic we haven't realized yet.

I truly appreciate everyone's feedback and I AM listening, but I'm also about a month behind on the migration, leaving me very little time to prepare for the NBAA and FLIBS.
  20. SFS

SFS Senior Member

We can tell you are listening Carl, and we appreciate what you have done and are doing. Don't sweat it. The site is up, it's running well, and the stuff we post here will be here when you get to it.

Get some rest, have a life. We need you here for the long haul. Thanks for all you do.