Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for JetForums Click for Abeking

water intrusion on floor area of bridge

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by Debbie, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Debbie

Debbie New Member

We need help fast! We recently purchased a 2001 40' Sea Ray sedan bridge. Everything is going great except that somehow water is getting inside the floor area of the bridge to the point where it accumulates and when we are underway the water starts comming out of the ceiling lights in the salon and the cockpit! We have been unable to find out how the water is getting there. Any ideas??? We are very concern with the damage this water may soon cause. We will appreciate any help/ideas to resolve this problem.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Unfortunately you are not alone in getting water in from above, almost all yachts have this problem since you also have ventilation coming from above. If there is no visible damage, you have to start looking for vents that might lack drainage and lets water in when sea or yourself are spraying too much.
    Taste if it is fresh or salt as a start. Maybe you can also track it from where it comes out, by removing roof panels and spray different areas above until you see water coming in. But it might travel a long way so it can be a big operation.
    I guess you have already checked screws and nuts so they have enough with Sikaflex or similar to keep tight, just one little loose screw can leak a lot!
    I had this problem for six months on a yacht before I found exactly where, a couple of small screws for a life raft bracket on the flybridge leaking...
    Good luck!
  3. Yachtwatch

Yachtwatch Guest

Was it transported?

When you purchased the vessel was the flybridge taken apart for delievery? Possible if the vessel was transported via road they take the bridge apart and refastening at the drop off site ( usually a ship yard ) some times cocking, fastening, etc... is not what it was at the factory. I have a client that had the same problem as you.

Matthew