Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Walker

Watch Collectors on YF?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Kafue, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Watch Collectors Out there?

Not sure if this topic will be approved by Carl & Co., yet seeing as we have an Exotic Car section, what could be more relevant than mechanical watches?

As a watch collector since my early teens, I have seen how this pastime has now become very popular the world over. It certainly has an accord with our passion for all things Yachting. Timekeeping & the sea are intertwined & one without the other would not be in existence as it is today.

Without accurate timekeeping, there would be no modern yachting as we know it today.

Also, as there are so many upper strata engineers, yacht designers, owners & simply those that admire the skills that it takes to conceive, design, create, then to actually build these wonders, I would say this forum has room to admire & enjoy our shared collections & thoughts on mechanical watches & watchmaking.
    Cheers,

Kafue
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Timekeeping and the sea are intertwined, although I loose track of time at sea. I have only owned two watches in my entire life. The first was given to me in recognition of my work 35 years ago. It was a Rado Diastar that featured a sapphire crystal and tungsten steel band that was guaranteed not to scratch. It still keeps perfect time. (pic)

The 2nd watch was the most unreliable timepiece I've had, a Rolex YachtMaster. It was good for one thing... attracting unreliable women. Nowadays, my timepiece is an Apple iPhone.

Attached Files:

Kafue likes this.
  3. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Rolex Yachtmaster! Could not agree with you more. I bought the Yellow Gold as a 40th present for myself (with my wife's encouragement) in 1997. Was dissappointed from day one. I am not a golfer, yet was designing/building a home for a famous Austrailian & US golfer, so started to practice. On the 3rd week of owning the Rolex YM, I took a swing at the ball & the Rolex flew off my wrist into the grass with a broken bracelet. Sent it back to Rolex Australia & they demanded I pay full price for a replacement gold strap, which was a whole lot of money. It needed me to write a letter to the head of Rolex in my rather poor German, mixed with English, before they replaced the watch band under warranty. The watch would not even show the time in the dark.
    On a great side note though, I traded the watch last year for twice what I paid for it (was battered too, having been warn constantly, even while working on the engines), & traded on a beautiful Everose Gold Rolex Daytona. So there is the good side of Rolex, they keep going up in value if you buy at the right time & right model. The Daytona is a masterpiece & a favourite of mine.
  4. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Funnily... I've never once lusted after a Rolex.

Now, put me in the vicinity of a TAG Monaco, Omega Speedmaster, or Audemars Piguet Royal Oak (the more subtle end of the line, not the gaudy ones, please) and my heart rate will most assuredly pick up pace!

Even something less exotic, but ultimately unique, like a Hamilton Ventura always catches my eye.
    Kafue likes this.
  5. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I'm a bit of a collector, although I haven't worn a watch regularly (if ever) for a number of years. My favorite a very special watch made by Towson Co. and engraved by Jochen Benzinger. They only made a limited production and I was fortunate enough to have purchased serial number 001.
    Kafue likes this.
  6. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Hi Ken!
    How about a photo please? Especially the independant brands & special editions. It is what makes the post!
    Cheers
  7. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

The watch that started my collecting journey. Rolex Bubble Back 32mm in Pink Gold, circa 1947 or 1950. Left to me by my Father when he passed away in 1971. I had just turned 14 y.o. so it was kept in a safe place until I finally slowed down enough & stopped my hiking around Africa & settled in Australia in 1982. Was one of the 2 things I inherited from a fine man, but the value to me is priceless. Probably the main reason to collect watches is that we get to not only wear them & leave our mark or marks on them, but also that our descendants are left a piece of what was important to us, other than money. It is irrelavant whether the timepiece is worth $100 or $100,000. Rolex BBACK.jpeg
    Rerm likes this.
  8. Ken Bracewell

Here you go...
    IMG_1392.jpeg Last Import - 349.jpeg
    C Wisner, Kafue and Kevin like this.
  9. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

10. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I only have one special watch I wear for formal occasions, given to me by my wife as an engagement present, no not a collector. However, if you count all the inexpensive watches she's bought me to wear on a daily basis, laid out each day to coordinate with my other clothing. Fortunately we do sell watches so at least good for business. Prior to marriage I had three pairs of shoes and no watches. Now, must be 20 or more pairs of shoes and nearly as many watches.
  11. Ken Bracewell

Yes, my very-close second (and sometimes favorite) is a Pasha de Cartier which was made the year I was born. It was given to me by my partner on my 40th birthday.
    Kafue and Rerm like this.
  12. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I got my first Corum Admiral's Cup in the mid-80s. I bought my 2nd one at the Miami Boat Show maybe 8-10 years ago. I wear it every day, never had a problem, and love it.

Attached Files:

C Wisner, Kafue and Kevin like this.
  13. C Wisner

C Wisner New Member

I have a large watch collection. One of my favorites is this Ulysse Nardin Freak X in Rose Gold. Its always good to start a conversation.

Attached Files:

Kafue likes this.
  14. bliss

bliss Senior Member

In the 1970s I would send the Emas (or Emus) Watch Co wind up watches for repair. I think it was located in Pennsylvania. They are probably long gone. Is there any place that can get my two Tags going at a reasonable price? Thanks.
  15. KoffeeCruising

KoffeeCruising Member

90559CD9-D4EA-433A-B949-2C8D25766009.jpeg I love my vintage watches. Favorite is a 1969 Omega Speedmaster that I swap out NATO bands on….
    1FB251D3-DD8C-4ACD-9154-2CF6901BBBF8.jpeg 5C7DC052-9F45-4B0D-9B62-2B410768CD36.jpeg
    286DFFD5-155F-4F91-A4FC-86B7EB70D12A.jpeg EAAFC7A1-3297-487A-AA3C-3C63705C9FC2.jpeg
    Kafue and Kevin like this.
  16. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

This is not a Rolex or something extremely expensive but it is an collectors item with a special value to me. This Sinn pilot watch was provided to me (for freee!) by the owner of the manufacturer company for test purposes during my active duty as an F-4 pilot. This was during an Airshow in Germany (the ILA), where I was on duty as an F-4 display pilot.

Means, this watch is pretty old. Only 5 watches of this type were built, three were returned to the factory and later destroyed, only two are still excisting. One is in my collection and the other is owned by a former squadron buddy of mine (My bravo man, btw. the father of one of my sons in law :)).

The reason this watch went never into production was its clockwork. The watch has still a manual wind. At that time, the automatic winding became fashionable and the manufacturer decided to stop the production of this manual winding clockwork. The watch case itself was in production for a pretty long time.

The manufacturer Sinn in Frankfurt, Germany is not a mass producer. He only builts relatively small numbers of mechanical watches for aficionados.

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

Just a little collectors item and a memento of an old man. Far to precious to me to wear it.

HTMO9
  17. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Next year I hope that I can show you my most precious watch... At least it will be costly to find it, as it is on the sea-floor in our archipelago since 45 years or so. It is an Omega Seamaster that I got already in the 60:s and I had it during an offshore boat race where we flipped sideways..! I was thrown out of the boat and despite I had a racing life-jacket I was going down to about three meters depth and there I stopped with the hands on the sea-floor so harsh that the steel bracelet burst and the watch fell off..!

My plan now is to get an underwater drone with a grip and try to find and recover it.. :)
  19. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

The USD $4,000,000 Omega
    The Freak is one of my favourite timepieces! Seldom do you find a "ground breaking" watch that defies all previous styles. The first watch to use Silicone escapement wheels & that was only a small part of it's uniquness! Plus being a Ulussye Nardin holds something extra as a "Boatie". I have a few UN's in my collection, but not a Freak as yet. Was bidding on the Prototype for the Freak, P001, but was bid out of contention when it reached Swiss Franc 126,000. In hindsight, this may well be something I regret not buying as the watch is a possible "sleeper" in terms of investment.
    Omega.jpg By the way, at the same Phillips Auction, a Stainless Steel Omega Speedmaster, first generation model, sold for over a cool USD$4,000,000 including commission! Now that is a major win for the previous owner!
  20. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member