Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Delta Click for Westport

Warning: Progressive Insurance Scam

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Norseman, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Gentlemen, you are part of the problem as ya did not read my posting:

Try not to move your lips and say after me:

With a frozen or blocked credit, nobody and nobody else, including God can see your credit HISTORY or your credit SCORE.
    If I apply for 100,000 million loans and my score goes down to -10,000 ....Nobody can find out.

Again, that is not the problem: If I was stupid I would apply for 10 mortages hoping to get one of the ten.

Newsflash: If you have good credit, ya get approved for the FIRST one, no need to apply for an additional 10 or 15 loans.

So, here we go again:
    Got good credit, Progressive trying to pull a fast one.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Not being able to check your credit for them is the same as having bad credit. Since they cannot tell good or bad, their computer automatically assumes bad, because it has to assume something in order to compute the formula for your rates.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

4. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

(not Progressive) but another insurance company tried a similar trick with us on cars, at which point we said "okidoke, nice knowing you, cancel the contract" and they back peddled a good bit. We had 6 cars on the policy, all with perfect driving records / no claims in 5+ years.

Norseman-
    What size boat are we talking about here? I didn't think progressive underwrote anything more than a typical ski boat or something. Unless were talking about that? But I may be entirely wrong and unaware.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It seems a lot of the auto insurance companies are offering good insurance rates, then once you become a customer the next renewal 6 months later is higher, and the next one is even higher.......I was with esurance for 10 years, great rates. I have a 100% clean driving record, a fico of 801, no losses. Then all of a sudden my next renewal was over 30% higher. I switched to Allstate after 10 years........was a very low quote for 100/300 low deductable full coverage.......next renewal went up close to 10%........

Sometimes insurers want to get out of a certain industry in a certain state, or just want to lower their exposure there and just really increase rates hoping to limit customers......
  6. Indigo2

Indigo2 New Member

I heard that if you don't use your credit cards, or payoff the car, the mortgage, your credit score will go down. Your insurance rates and god knows what else will be affected. And once you lose it......go ahead live under the bridge. This even affects the FPL bill, cable and phone. So just because you have a credit card you must use it instead of the debit card all the time.
  7. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Norseman,
    Contact the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation and file a complaint (floir dot com).
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Correct. You're a "deadbeat" aka someone they can't make money on. And yes, your electric, phone,cable, water, insurance and every other company you sign up with may well require a deposit or give you a less favored rate.
    When I was in the credit business we used scores, but were taught to look for ways to make the loan. That however requires thinking. Today it's all formulas so that thinking isn't needed or even permitted. The score is everything.
  9. It is difficult sometime, but you are absolutely right.
    Be polite, wait a least 24 hours after you receive the bad news before calling, and be very patient and on track and not personal.
    Business is just money. Don't get tense about.
    I use my wife as ambassador to deal on my behalf when I disagree with a company. It works every time :)
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Good idea.. I guess.

Unable however.
    I only blow up and get emotional when somebody questions my integrity and my honesty..
    For the last 30 years it has been a pet-pieve of mine to keep a perfect credit score and a perfect record of being a perfectly honest guy.

Not because I want to impress some idiot insurance clerk, but rather because I want a way out of being a slave to a pay check:
    No debt means no job, and off sailing we go.

(In theory anyway..The Female factor is not in there yet..:rolleyes: )
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

There are people (friends, family, business associates, etc.) and then there are customer service clerks (who know only what's on their screen and don't have the authority to do anything about it) and insurance companies (who couldn't give a good G.D. about you or anybody else). The 2nd and 3rd groups aren't worth blowing up about and it's counter-productive anyway. Dig in calmly until you get your answers so you know you don't have a problem and then just move your business to a company who wants your business (this year).
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, did that and it took only a few nano-seconds to bind insurance with 21St. Century after I hung up with Progressive and their "You can not talk to me like that" customer service rep.

Yeah, I should keep my powder dry and not waste calories or blood pressure points on some face-less nud-nick trying to explain to my brain that my credit is all fornicated when I know much better. :rolleyes:

Moral to the story is: Calmly explain to the person trying to screw you that their scam does not work, they are incompetent, and you highly recommend mandatory abortion with retroactive force on the V.P. who introduced the new program...:D

(Yeah I know, but you kept your calm)