Click for Northern Lights Click for MotorCheck Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Westport

Want to get a life raft.

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Seasmaster, Feb 26, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Still trying to figure out why we have to retest our 2 zodiac rafts every year, at a cost of $1500 a piece on average....
  2. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

The one on your link in post #11 has an insulated floor in the specifications.
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Who requires you to retest (but not repack?) every year? USCG?

Great, but will never need it: My boat will never sail North of 26N, ever.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Label on the raft says expires ... xx-xx/xxxx (one year from inspection)
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Most rafts are on a 1 year interval. I have seen a few brands that are on 2 year and 3 year intervals. The Revere life rafts are required every 3 years.
  6. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Bought a boat that had an expired raft with no documentation. Sent it to be inspected, they called and said it was unrepairable and were required to destroy it. So, would not go to long past service period. I would question need for 1 year service.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

When I got on the boat the rafts has not been done for years so I sent them in. They re now 10 years old but the $3000 average annual inspection is just ridiculous. Plus last time 84 inflatables had an issue getting a component and it took over a month...
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Might be cost effective to just buy new Revere's when they need to be serviced again. Revere's inspections are only required every 3 years, so they'd pay for themselves in a few years of not having to recertify every year.
  9. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Thanks
    Sounds like Zodiac knows how to make a buck. Like Capt J says, trade those babies in. Good thread, planning to buy a new Revere raft soon.
    Thanks for the info.
  10. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

When your liferaft is due for an inflation test, ask that you be there and get to pull the rope to inflate it. Besides the fun of it, it's good to experience how much line you need to pull out of the thing, and how much force is needed. That inflation trigger painter can be 50' long, or so.
    I ask for the items that are replaced, because the batteries can still be used, and the water and rations can be kept in your abandon ship grab bag. They have to be replaced, but are still good. Maybe even have a "Survival Lunch" and see how enjoyable the provisions are :)
    Also, ask about adding survival supplies. There is sometimes room in the packing to allow for more water and rations, and more flares and locators. They have to put in what the manufacturer lists, but they can be flexible on private vessels.
  11. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Good info.
    I asked to se them do a re-pack once but was turned down, they did now want anybody to try it at home.
    Even though I run a commercial vessel with annual USCG Examinations, nobody has ever asked to see a life raft or a dink/tender.

Going to have the pros repack it, cheap insurance. (Although I suspect Inflatable 84 are the most expensive place, but darn convenient, less than a mile from my house/dock.)
  12. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

They may not be keen on it, since it slows things down. When I asked, it was the packer directly when delivering it to the loading dock. He was really cool and thought everyone should be that interested. Management came in and scowled a lot when I was there, but too bad. The packer ended up opening his own certified shop, and I followed him there.
    DIY re-pack should not even be on the list of possible activities.
    Once you have a liferaft, there are three people who will zero in on the inspection sticker. The CG inspection party, the insurance surveyor, and the boat buyer's surveyor when the time comes.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

what I like about them is that they pick up and deliver for free. Well... nothing is free :) I should say at no charge ...
  14. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Cool, all 3 will be happy.
    Never owned a raft before, but have been schlepping those things to service shops numerous times for clients when I did my Absent Owner Care gig.
  15. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I'm traveling on the ICW; left on Friday & will arrive FLL Sunday nite. Good to hear you got yours. I'll be gettin mine on Monday or Tuesday. . . If I can figure out how to PM you, maybe we could consolidate the transportation, if you wouldn't mind. . .
    Hey, we'll have to "raft-up" in FLL. LOL
  16. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yeah, Tuesday is better: I got a big station wagon, we could drive down to North Miami, pick up them rafts and head to Baby Dolls for cocktails to celebrate survival..
    I live in the Citrus Isles, close to Inflatable 84 with Old Heidelberg Kraut place next door, all good.
    As for PM, try email: bigdagus (at) yahoo.dot.c..
  17. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

:D Already PM'd on "conversation". LOLo_O
  18. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

On deep-sea vessels, it is required prior to their annual COI inspection. Check out: 46 CFR ยง 199.190 (g)(1) & (3). I don't know if it would apply to your operation.
  19. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Did I miss the invite to this party? Or is it literally a "raft" up? Time for a YF roundup! Jorge? Malcolm? Pascal?

Judy
  20. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Well Judy, you of course are invited, raft or no raft and we sure need femes to these gatherings: Come on over and bring your dancing shoes