Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Cross

Volvo IPS Drive Crash Video

Discussion in 'Props, Shafts & Seals' started by SandEngXp, Apr 5, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SandEngXp

SandEngXp New Member

RePost

My apologies if I re posted.

My interest was the structural response for something that carries a relatively high local load. I agree the bulkhead shear may not be the only likely type of impact load. Behavior when run out of the channel up on a sand bar or dredge tailings might be interesting as well.

There are plenty of examples of convention running gear running over the coral or up on a sand bar or in Scandinavia or Great Lakes - into Granite.

I find it amusing that there is such denial of such events on this forum. :D
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's because many of the people here are the ones who respond when the call goes out. We try very hard not to be the one making the call. There are a million different scenarios that can occur. Bottom line is that it's costly no matter what kind of propulsion you have.
    I looked on the link Capt.J posted on Zeus, but that was just the company piece. Has anyone seen collision video from Zeus tests. I'm curious to see how they handled the break-away aspect.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The CMD engineers told me, driveshaft for the Zues is splined and is just pushed up there, so it comes right out. The Zues pod has 6 bolts, the foward 4 are weak, and the back 2 are strong. The pod basically peels off of there like a can opener and falls off. It is designed to be just bolted right back on in that event. A searay owner ran aground and both pods came off of the boat. It cost $3,000 total to put everything right back together.