Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Perko

Volt

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by OutMyWindow, Feb 4, 2010.

1. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Exclusive shots of GMC's brand new production electric car...

Attached Files:

2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Good looking car.
  3. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

Nice .. interesting .. like the pursuit of new technology .. don't know what to think about the safety factor. I feel so much safer in an SUV or BMW sedan. I will not drive one (tiny car) ... will not put my kids in one either.

It's a start .. I say full effort towards drilling for oil in the USA, natural gas vehicles, nuclear power, hydrogen powered autos. Anything we can do to stop buying oil from other countries.

Meanwhile, I will do my part to burn lots of gas and oil. The sooner we run short, the sooner we'll develop solutions.

At 65-70 gph in the Bertram, 32 gph in the airplane and 12gph in the BMW, I'm doing my part to help us exhaust the supply.

Oh ... and good timing by the way .. just as our political and judicial system begins the full assault on Toyota. Since GMC is owned by the USA now, I cannot help but think I'm hearing corrupt politicians with huge interest in the success of GM, going after Toyota unfairly.

Mike
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You might want to check the rollover stats.
    BTW, it'd be hard to rig what's going on with Toyota. The insurance industry is saying they're looking back at old payouts now. They're in major dodo. GM has good timing, but anytime would be a good time for release of this car.
  5. Ormond Bert54

Are you in the business?

MORE DRIVERS DIE IN SMALL CARS

Driver deaths per million vehicles:
    All small cars 108
    Midsize cars 70
    Large cars 67
    SUVs 55
  6. RER

RER Senior Member

I find a high percentage of small cars to be driven by really, really, lousy drivers.
  7. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Statistics

I like your earlier post re: using up the oil supply as I am over invested in a few oil explore/supply companies!!! Had to after owning some bvigger boats;)
    When it comes to statistics though, they are a JOKE. ANY "expert" can make a statistic dance to their particular tune.
    Compare the entire numbers or factors & you will find that producers of small/mid/large & SUV can skew these stats in their own favour. Don't believe me? Look at ANY top 100 companies in the US over the last 5 years & compare their stats & graphs to REALITY!
    It is not just interesting but a reality check to most of us!
  8. OutMyWindow

Couple things here:

- The Volt is not a small car, it’s about the size of a 3-series or an Accord
    - Electric cars are most popular in the urban environment, meaning they will rarely go over 60 mph. Here the majority of taxis and small commercial vehicles are electric.
    - Since most cars in the “world” are small cars, obviously they will be involved in more statistical accidents than huge cars.
  9. Ormond Bert54

OK ... got it. So 108 deaths per million vehicles is no different than 55 deaths per million vehicles.

Makes perfect sense. Next time I'm overdrawn on my bank account, maybe you could explain to my banker how that is NOT the case.

Mike
  10. OutMyWindow

Your getting off topic, but the only thing I can recommend is next time you’re at your Bank, explain to the teller how with your yachts and airplane, you tend to overextend your credit line.
    If the teller deems your credit rating to be warranted, he/she may suggest you obtain overdraft protection, that $ amount will be based on your track record with the Bank.
    Good luck
  11. Ormond Bert54

And ... it it's so great, maybe YOU will drive one.

Enjoy it while it lasts ... the liberal good times are coming to an end ... because we are running out of "other peoples money".
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks for posting the Volt pictures! Since this thread derailed immediately, may I ask if this car is a political issue in the US..?
  13. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

LOL Lars.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Only in so far as GM is finally making a real stab at regaining a lead in the auto industry again. Plus, if they're successful, the TARP money gets paid back.
    As long as you're doing it with "other people's money" cool. Since I'm spending my own I got tired of hearing "if it wasn't 4 wheel drive it would have only cost..." and I do like getting 30mpg since again it's my money I'm spending. I also got tired of spinning out in the snow with that high, light rear end. Must say though that SUV drivers are great at paying for the dings in my doors since they don't fit in most parking spaces.:D
  15. Ormond Bert54

General Motors was bailed out by the US Government. The Volt might be a great idea but the company should have bit the dust just like mine would if I made bad decisions and ended up broke.

Makes me sick that I work hard and pay my taxes so we can bail out the idiots at GM and on Wall Street. I shouldn't call them idiots ... they are very smart, highly educated corrupt criminals.

So ... yes ... political car.
  16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

OK, over here we have the ethanol scam...
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Water under the bridge.
  18. Ormond Bert54

we do that too.

It's enough to make me just want to ... well ... employ people in another country. So I do.
  19. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

Not a bad looking car. But there are issues that should at the very least be addressed.

-Do we really need another $40k plus car? There are a great deal of options out there in that range now. We really need something that is affordable if it is to make a difference

-GM designers must really be fans of newer Hondas.

_Good for 40 miles per day (at best). Even in the relatively small town I live in, that is difficult at best, if not impossible. And using features like air conditioning and heat will also affect the electric range. Your personal driving style can affect how Volt performs, aggressive driving will result in fewer miles per charge. Even cargo can affect performance because extra weight reduces efficiency and road conditions can also affect the kind of mileage your vehicle will get.

-What about the half of the country that lives someplace where it gets . . . . . cold (or very hot for that matter)? Like any electric vehicle, Volt's performance will vary. Like all vehicles, electric vehicles are less efficient in extremely hot or cold temperatures. * *

-No one, not even GM is talking about these humongous batteries. What environmental impact will they have when it is time to replace them in 10 years or so? Maybe we should ask Toyota.

_ Why don't car companies just build car that were highly fuel efficient as they were doing in the 80'sand early 90's?
  20. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Very good point ScotL