Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Delta Click for Mulder

Virginia winter stay

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Beau, Sep 21, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Now, Patric AFB (Cocoa Beach) has a great marina and pub.
    NAS Boca Chica (Key West) Marina is great also.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Charleston makes an ideal choice if flying from NY as there are many non stop flights, 2 hour flight, $163 round trip. If you keep what you need, you never have to check any baggage and makes things easy. Less than half the price of flying to Norfolk, VA, by the way. Current prices from NY to Norfolk are $512.

Always interesting to see what air commutes are like in terms of time, convenience, and price. Not at all unusual to find longer distances less expensive and some locations far more accessible than others.
  3. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Thx PTjude

I was just thinking I might be able to use the boat in VA as a condo and do some sightseeing /visiting
  4. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Charleston is a great destination. Used to keep the boat there for 3 summers. But it is hard to find a slip that is not exposed and in general I think demand exceeds supply so be ready for an expensive slip. Having said that I believe Charleston City Marina offers a winter dock rate. Patriots point may have slips but is exposed and is very long walk to get to land. Other than that nice place.
  5. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Thanks again, Heard this last year about Patrick; hadn't looked into that before, could be do-able for our conceptual trip. Been to Boca Chica, great, but likely farther than we'd want to do for this kind of trip. (Move the boat south in Nov, leave it, visit and boat somewhere in January, leave it, begin the return home in March. Something like that...)

We enjoyed Charleston over this last winter very much. Good point OB makes about air fares. Combination of marina shuttle, some free city downtown buses, and Uber/Lyft made having a car pretty much unnecessary, at least for us. The City Marina didn't happen to have space, but Ashley, next door, did. It's a condo marina but they have some slips they can rent... and the monthly rates were OK.

-Chris
  6. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

We always went to Daytona, years ago Halifax harbor . Daytona Airport is right there and quite simple to get in and out of.... not a long flight from Phila or NYC, Newark....