Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Glendinning

Virginia winter stay

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Beau, Sep 21, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Thinking of putting the vessel in Virginia for the winter and visiting even on cold weekends. Is there a recommended spot from you folks?
  2. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

A lot of boats go to great bridge, there is a large yard-marina on the south side of the lock.
  3. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

We met folks last year at Tidewater in Portsmouth who had been there all winter. The few days we stayed there it seemed like a very nice place, although we eventually heard mixed reviews from other tenants.

There were also a very few boats across on the Norfolk side at Waterside, although that might seem more like a bit of a zoo, being just next to all the shore stuff right there.

Lots to see and do in Portsmouth and Norfolk, of course.

-Chris
  4. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I am from Virginia and grow up boating on the lower bay. Tell us more of what you want if you come. I have froze my hiny off when I took a captains course and stayed on the boat for 2 weeks. The creek froze up. If water temp gets low enough the AC’s don’t heat very well and space heaters tend to throw breakers. Also ask the marina if they turn off the water. If you are looking for quaint Smithfield Station will put you in protected marina up a pretty creek with a small town with some beautiful homes and nice small downtown area. Have not been to Norfolk area in a while but there will be more to do if the wife is coming with you. Another option is Cape Charles. Virginia winters can be cold or moderate.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Depends on what you're looking for. How do you intend to get there to your boat and from where? By car? Plane? If you like scenery and relaxation, can't beat Cape Charles. However, if you need conveniences and an airport, then the Norfolk area. If you weren't commuting to your boat, then probably the furthest north in Virginia, I'd want to be would be Savannah, GA.

I just looked at highs and lows in Norfolk in January and typically 49 or so as a high and 34 as a low. In NYC typically 39 and 27. Annapolis 45 and 30. All seems like cold or colder to me, but then I'm not use to cold.

We lived in Charlotte NC and boated year round but that only meant typically we could get out on the boat over weekends 3 days in January and the January temperatures were much like VA with averages of 51 and 30.

Perhaps a bit more as to pattern you expect and how you intend to use the boat over the winter.
  6. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

FWIW, Annapolis seemed generally colder than that, last winter. We wintered in Charleston, and temps were typically 10-20F higher than Annapolis. Locals told us it was colder than usual there, too, but we found it at least comfortable even if rarely shorts and T-shirt weather.

-Chris
  7. olderboater

I picked averages, but you reemphasized my point, that in Virginia and Maryland, there are no warm areas in January. Savannah or Charleston is about the furthest north to be comfortable.
  8. olderboater

Last January, Annapolis had days 15 degrees warmer than average and 20 degrees colder.
  9. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Yeah, it was all over the map up here... but we were glad to be at least a bit further south. Would have been nice to be back near FLL but crew wasn't interested in that long of a trip... :)

-Chris
  10. Beau

Beau Senior Member

So I'm still very much engaged in my profession. I'm Looking for a quick jump off destination for weekends with my lovely first mate. We dont mind overcoats but don't want ice. I have built in electric heaters if water temp is too low. Don't want to travel 1200 miles south, but we might just have to do that it sounds like.
  11. olderboater

It's a gamble. One winter it all lines up for nice weekend cruising. The next winter is bad and seems like the only nice days are during the week.

If you're going to be flying anyway you might just find the place most accessible by plane. If driving, then further than Virginia becomes a problem.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You could find a place South that is an easy 1-2 hour airplane ride that's still relatively warm, such as Jacksonville.....or.....
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Come on down to Jax. I'll order first round.
  14. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I'd agree with all that: if flying, Norfolk, Charleston, Savannah?, Jax, even further south... assuming the initial boat movement is do-able. Driving from NY to any of those doesn't seem like a great weekend thing...

Our (well... my) actual intention last year was to move the boat to Jax and leave it at the NAS marina for a while... then go back a couple times and boat around somewhere, St, Augustine, Daytona, etc... and bring it back to NAS Jax and leave it again for a while... then bring it back north in spring. Friends convinced my "crew" (Admiral) that Charleston was far enough for the temp factor, and it was, even in last winter's cold snap...

But I'm still lobbying for our (my) original concept, maybe next winter...

-Chris
  15. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Thanks folks for your generous advice. I am re thinking this whole concept!
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Lots of the above offerings have websites.
    Look up their addresses on Google Earth. From that picture, where are the airports, port orientation for weather protection, local attractions YOU would be interested in.
    Hotels for guest.

NAS Jax marina lays exposed to all weather from the Nor North East to South. Not much weather protection on the west bank of the river.
    New docks every other year, Nuff Said?

Yacht Club Member? Florida Yacht club has a second dock set protected in the cove.

St Augustine docks still wrecked from last years storm. St-Aug Municipal should be finished in another month.

Ortega Landings Marina is probably the nicest looking docks in Jax. Contact me for better details if you look at this place seriously.
  17. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Thanks Capt R for the good info. Not gonna happen this year, I don't think.
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Keep plugging away. I'm feared it's going to get cold up there shortly.
    If you come down this way and miss the cold water; Just off shore & south of St Augustine is an off shore spring.
    Great place to jump in the ocean. When both of my water makers start rattling, I know I'm on it. Cold spring water, BBrrrr..
  19. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Useful to know; thanks. It's been quite a while (6-7 years?) since we went through there on a car trip to St. Augustine. The dockmaster at the time told me they were getting new docks (and it looked like they needed 'em), but he didn't mention why. The whole place did indeed look to be largely exposed to weather...

-Chris
  20. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

Beau, Im in the same spot. Virginia is a good place to leave the boat if you don't want to haul and store, but I wouldn't put much stock in boating the winter. NC may be out with the damage many places sustained, so SC would be where its at for a northern most for comfort. Problem there is that flights and ground transport are far less easy and economical than say JAX or St. Augustine... If I had the time (second kid coming, so I don't...) I would be making for Charleston. If I had more $$$ Id be looking at a second boat to keep in the bahamas. haha