Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Glendinning

Vintage Viking Fan Club!

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by PaulVato, Jun 2, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Greg Roy

Greg Roy New Member

Regarding my 79 Viking DC, I'm specifically looking for a hardtop, torpedo tubes, depth charges, stuff like that.
  2. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

Greg
    I can’t help you with your wish list but welcome. I think you’ll fit right in here.
    There has to be some dealers in Florida they have used and salvaged stuff to help.
    You might check with the folks at the Florida Viking service center for ideas.
    Bill
  3. Greg Roy

Greg Roy New Member

Thanks Bill! I'm originally from Michigan and my son is still up there as a deputy/paramedic in Flint, and a daughter in Grand Rapids. I try to get back up there
    for the week of Summer.
  4. RossC

RossC Member

We are looking at a 84 Viking 44 aft cabin this week. It has 671TI's at 485HP. All the negative comments around the internet about 671's cranked up to 485HP have me nervous about this boat. How many of you are running these engines? Have you had any issues? How many hours? I've heard not to expect more than 1500-2000 hours. Boat has 2200 on original engines.
  5. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

Unless those engines have been modified the DD
    6-71 TI is rated at 450 hp. I have a 1988 Viking 44
    Motor Yacht with 6-71 TIB which are rated at 485.
    With all engines especially turbocharged 6-71 engines at lot depends on how they are maintained and how hard they are run. A lot of those engines were put in sportfish boats and run hard to get to fishing grounds. Are there any maintenance records available? Fresh water or salt water boat. My boat is a fresh water boat and sits in heated storage 6-7 months out of the year.
  6. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

MBevins is probably around and I think has your engines in his 44. He can speak directly to them.
  7. RossC

RossC Member

It's a salt water boat. I know it sat in the water last winter. Assumption is that the owner pulls it in the spring to clean the bottom but it stays in the water otherwise. Might even get pulled every 2 years and gets a diver to clean the bottom in between. The broker says 671TI @ 485HP. When I questioned that, he wasn't sure. I'll be looking at it today. That info should be on the valve cover.
  8. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Yes you'll find a sticker on the cover.
    But as stated above, if they're TI's they are 455hp and not 485, tib's are the 485 variant. Those are the ones you really have to watch.
    I've rebuilt my port motor, due to a valve failure at 800 hours, caught the stbd with the same failure and had the head redone. Both were actual valve issues. I'm now at about 2000 hrs on the stbd , zero smoke at start, by that I mean a 2sec puff at initial fire.
    If treated right they are very dependable,
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  9. RossC

RossC Member

10. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

11. BMCM

BMCM New Member

Just bought our 89 one month ago and having a great time!

Attached Files:

chesapeake46 likes this.
  12. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

Good looking boat. Enjoy.
  13. D m benoit

D m benoit New Member

20231006_161128_copy_1240x929.jpg Here is my 1973 40 Viking convertable. With twin 350 hp gas motors. My wife and I love our vintage Viking
  14. A. Alan Green

A. Alan Green New Member

A fine looking 50 YO young lady you have there Captain. May you both have many years of fun and adventure ahead of you.