Click for Cheoy Lee Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Seacoast Click for Burger Click for Dockmate

Vintage Viking Fan Club!

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by PaulVato, Jun 2, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

You can see the two ball ends with the connector missing. The connector has to allow movement with these two at different heights.
  2. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Yup. That stuff should be connected together...Lol..that's all I know...are the old worn out parts just laying there? On the engine? You have the other engine to look at to see how it goes back together, sounds like something you can tackle, perhaps?
  3. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I have had the same problem.
    The nylon receiving fitting between the two balls wears out and pops off.
    In my case I was replacing them and making them too tight.
    This stressed the nylon receiver and made it wear out too quickly and pop off prematurely.
    I ended up leaving a little slack and added a tiny wire tie to keep them seated.
  4. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

Fortunately the guy who stores and takes care of my boat is ordering new parts for both engines.
    The boat is almost 31 years old and I don't know if they have ever been replaced. He has taken care of the boat for 19 years and this was the first time he knows of that there had been an issue.
  5. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

IMG_2120.jpg
  6. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

Thought I would post a picture of the starboard side which is intact for reference. Think there may be different ways these are connected depending on the engine and who marinized them. Mine are J&T.
  7. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

Hope everyone is enjoying their boat this summer. I know we have.
    I am hoping too that I did not chase everyone away with my fuel shut off saga. Retrospectively I guess I should have put it on the technical forum instead of here, but being new I did not think about it.
    I am learning.
    Have a great summer boating season everyone. What better way than on our vintage Vikings.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Open a new thread and expand on your great summer with lots of pictures and tales.
  9. ERTW

ERTW Member

Finally some good weather in the great lakes to enjoy the boating! Heading to Mackinac Island this weekend and down through the North Channel for 2 weeks!
  10. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

My vintage 44 is currently enjoying the Trent Severn waterway.
  11. RichardC

RichardC New Member

New to this thread and hoping for some real world advice.

I’m coming up on my early/pre retirement target time. I’ve got a budget of 75-100k for a boat and 10-12k annual maintenance budget (not including dockage/ fuel / insurance).

I’ve done some initial research and will be targeting either a Viking 38 or 41, early to mid 80’s vintage.

Realistic plan or am I dreaming?

Any feedback is appreciated.
  12. ReelPlumber

ReelPlumber Member

Seems realistic to me. I spend around 10-15k annually including dockage and insurance. Some years are a little more expensive than others it just depends on what maintenance items are due. Some unforeseen items may come up as well.
  13. RichardC

RichardC New Member

Thanks @ReelPlumber - much appreciated. Do you mind saying what boat/ engines you have? I am being told from some seemingly wise people as yourself that things will break and need to be fixed. So its important to have a boat which can be (reasonably) easily maintained......not all boats are created equal in this regard. So I’m trying to get some feedback on this.

Thanks.
  14. ReelPlumber

ReelPlumber Member

@RichardC - I have 1993 43' Convertible with Detroit 6V92's @ 550hp. Things do break, wear, or just go bad but if you are able to fix things yourself you will be ahead of the game. I do most of my own maintenance and repairs. Replacing pumps, hoses, filters, etc I'll do. Tune ups, heat exchanger's , turbo's and like things my mechanic does.
  15. m/v ATHENA

m/v ATHENA New Member

Richard,
    Hi Richard,
    Your plan is very doable...especially if you start with a well made boat and do your own maintenance and basic repairs yourself like ReelPlumber just suggested.
    Very doable indeed. In fact, my wife and I had the same goal and so far, loving it.
    However, for unrelated reasons, we may be selling our 1982 Viking 43, a great boat.
    You can see more of ATHENA here: Athena.talkspot.com
    Let me know when you are ready to make the move.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2019