Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander

Viking vs. Post vs. Bertram?

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by AMGinfl, Feb 1, 2007.

1. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

Capt. J, are you out there? This question is for you. This forum is (slow).
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A captain I know ran a new 60' Bertram back in 2001. He seemed to like it, and didn't say anything bad about it. I personally don't know. I think the one he was on cruised at 33 knots........I've never run one or been on one.
  3. BriteStar

BriteStar Guest

I'd take the Post without question...but I like to fish rather than run around the seas! I live on the Gulf and find an anchored Berty much like a carnival ride in any sea with that deep V. If it gets rough, I slow down! Even with fuel prices dropping like an anchor, I appreciate the economy of a flatter bottom aft and the stability when trolling or on the hook. (which is most of the time)
    Heard the new Cabos are a bit too light and feel "corky" at sea. Wish I had the money to find out. But sacrificing anything, especially beam, for higher speeds just ain't my cup o' joe.
    TC
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 45' express is a terrific boat especially if you keep the aft tank fuel. I've delivered a 52' express and didn't like the cored hull and had to slow down from fast cruise a little bit quite a bit.
  5. cfamsden

cfamsden New Member

West Coast Considerations

Helloo from California where the chop is less and rollers sometimes more persistent. If flat is good to fish and deep is good to plow, does the flat back and sharp and deep fronted Hatteras era with deadrises down to 8 degrees or so work well?

Also, I don't see the 47 foot Vikings from '94 or so up to 2002 or so mentioned much. The teak layout suffered compared to the 1988 and earlier Viking 48s, but does it ride better, and fish better, with the deeper forefoot? And since I'm on the west coast should I take the earlier boat for less gas, with the more extensive teak also being a better match for my red wine?

I've been looking for a boat too long. Too many details running through my head. Wanna fish and keep the wife happy. And not go broke. Tough situation. The Viking 45's may ride better than the 48s, but that extra head sure would be nice.

Also, if I repowered a D Diesel Viking, would the loss of weight mess up the ride of some of these boats?

thanks for any input, Chris in SoCal
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Go with a 2001' or newer 50' Viking with 1050's. They run like a raped ape, have a large cockpit with a nice layout and all the fish ammenities. Nice interior layout and simple boat to maintain. I ran one and it ran nice.