Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay

Viking 44 Deck Pump-out fitting

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by bobbymo, Nov 12, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. bobbymo

bobbymo New Member

I know this will sound like a dumb question, but I'm trying to find a pump-out adapter, or more specifically, how do I find out what Viking used in the manufacture?
    My marina store, most marine supply sites and Industrial Supply sources show 1-1/2 " threads and a 1-1/4 " threads, both with the cam/lock 11.5 top.
    Neither of these fit. Seems like I have a 1-5/8 waste fitting.

1989 Viking 44ft Motor Yacht.
    Thanks,
    Mo
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Call Viking, I called them on a 1995 45' SF for the size of the deck hatches and they were able to tell me the manufacturer, size, and model within 2 minutes.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

A 1 1/4" NPT Thread is very close to 1 5/8" when measured with a tape measure/ruler.
  4. bobbymo

bobbymo New Member

Thanks to all. I talked with Viking Service/Parts in Riviera Beach, FL and learned that while it is a 1-1/2 in fitting, it is NPTP, not NPT. Parallel threads or, as I know them "straight pipe" or ISP (international straight pipe). Since there is no taper, the plug looks larger then the end of the 1.1/2 NPT fitting.
    Regardless.......there is an adapter available from Lewis Marine Supply and Lamb's Yacht Center will have it here tomorrow for me.
    Another problem solved by stubborn perseverance (and research)
    Now onward to the next boat caper...............;)
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Good that you have found a painless solution.

Also very good that you have posted back with the solution - this may well help someone else out in the future as the thread title is pretty accurate too.
  6. bobbymo

bobbymo New Member

Glad to do that. After all, that's why we're all here on the forums.....:)

Attached Files:

7. Dengelhardt

Dengelhardt New Member

Pump out adapter

I was wondering if you received the correct adapter. We have a 1988 48 Viking and the standard pump out fitting does not screw on. The threads seem to be different and I read your post and it sounds like the same issue. I appreciate your help
  8. bobbymo

bobbymo New Member

I made the rounds with this issue followed several leads, including one parts man who said that the part would be BST British Straight Thread.
    It was not. I have purchased a couple of "sure thing" fittings which didn't work.
    Viking tried but was actually no help. Their blueprints show a threaded waste cap assembly but those actual parts are supplied by various contractors, much like the deck hatches and cleats. You won't find answers there.
    Bottom Line:
    Wasting too much time trying to get a fitting when 99% of all pump-out stations use a rubber cone which seals the opening during pump out. In all honesty, I have not needed the fitting as mush as I thought.
    I was about to find a guy with a lathe and make my own from a PVC fitting, but as I said above, it's really an overkill project because of the way most pump out systems work........
    All the best to you.......
    Bobby Mo
  9. Dengelhardt

Dengelhardt New Member

Thank you for the response. I seem to be having the same issues that you had in finding this. I appreciate your feedback.
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

As far as I am aware there is no British Straight Thread The BST three letter code is normally used to indicate British Summer Time.

There is often confusion between BSP ( Brisish Standard Pipe) which is a straight or parallel thread and NPT National Pipe Thread)- A taper thread commonly used in the US.

It should be easy enough to work out what you have with the table given here.

NPT- National Pipe Thread Taper- ANSI B1.20.1

and here

Pipe Threads where Pressuretight Joints are made on the Threads - ISO 7-1

and here

Pipe Threads for Tubes and Fittings where Pressuretight joints are made on the Threads - BS 21
  11. Dengelhardt

Dengelhardt New Member

Thank you for the information. I know nothing of pipes & threads