Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning

viking 41 gas

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by jrobinson, Oct 16, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jrobinson

jrobinson Guest

Hello,I am considering the purchase of a 41 Viking Yacht Gas 454 power.The main concern is GPH at cruise.I know these are thirsty Boats but just how bad are they ???Thanks JR
  2. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

About 36 GPH just as the secondaries begin to open.
    Then, to paraphrase Ross Perot, "That great sucking sound you're hearing..."
  3. jrobinson

jrobinson Guest

Loren, Thanks for the reply. Here in the Great Lakes the gas power almost makes sense. With annual trips of less than 600 miles and a comparisson to a Diesel at 30 GPH and the purchase price taken into account it adds up to a question of performance. When I figure the differences in purchase cost & fuel it seems that after 32 Years I will break even.I will just be going a little slower. JR
  4. Rob_C

Rob_C New Member

One thing to consider even if you can afford the gas is that those gas engines are going to be seriously overtaxed pushing that heavy boat at cruising speeds and are not going to last very long. They do ok in a 35 footer but a 41 is just too heavy for gas engines.
  5. jrobinson

jrobinson Guest

41 Viking Gas

Hello Rob , Thanks for the reply.I am sure the 454 gas have to work too hard for any extended life.However gas replacement is not expensive.I felt if I found a good enough deal on a gas boat and realy liked it a Repower could also be possible.I am thinking the new technology Diesels could eliminate some old diesel problems???The boat size is appealing but to buy a tired old pair of diesel engines and do a rebulid seems more trouble tan thier worth.
  6. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

jrobinson, you will be pleased to know that an erstwhile boatbuilder such as Bertram Yacht actually constructed a couple of big, porky 42 motoryachts with 454s/340 BHP as power for Great Lakes clients who had no need to go fast, who had a limited boating season, and saw no need to spend big bucks on the (then) 6-71 Detroits.
    In 1987, the gas boat cost $293,135 while the oil burner had a retail pricetag of $354,295.
    As Bertram did with every boat, the 42s were seatrialed on Biscayne Bay and passed muster in all respects prior to being delivered to the dealer.
  7. jrobinson

jrobinson Guest

First Viking

Well, I finally purchased a 40 foot Viking ,1980 454 Crusader Power.A 500 Hour Boat from Chicago Il.Trip home ended up about 800 Miles in rough windy conditions May 17 to 22/08.This boat loves big waves. Two to Four foot was normal with Six to Eight at Alpena Mi.Used about 1000 gallons of gas $4700.00.Cruise is 18.5 knots at 3200rpm on GPS.I hear the 40 runs better on gas than the 41??? Now its time to redecorate the interior and enjoy.JR
  8. Cap10Pat

Cap10Pat New Member

jr,
    I know this reply is a year later, but if you see this, Nice boat! Enjoy.
    If you do have to repower, the newer 8.1L Crusader gas engines have about 50 HP more and also more torque. They're more fuel efficient and fuel injected. I would guess you would cruise slightly faster on less fuel. Not a small job, and may require trans, shaft and prop changes as well. But if you have to ....
  9. WildImagination

WildImagination New Member

Gas engine debate

Several years ago, I actually owned one of those "porky" 42 foot Bertram Motoryachts. While I cannot say the boat was especially fast, about a 15kt cruise, it did ride very well and was earily quiet. I bought the boat with approximately 900hrs on the original, untouched Mercruiser 340hp 454's, and ran the boat for years and sold it with just under 1500 hours, and still running strong. So, don't underestimate the capabilities and longevity of well maintained 454 work horses. They are thirsty for fuel consumption, but the simplicity of maintenance is also worth the consideration.