Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay

Using the Washing machine?

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by PtJudeRI, Mar 10, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

Nantucket has a 0 discharge rule. Unless you hold grey water, they will give you a hard time. Makes it a no go place for most boats now.
  2. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

Exactly. Refuse to let those people and their stupid ignorant perceptions run your life.

We've done laundry and dishes in all sorts of nice anchorages and mooring fields and marinas and never had anyone say boo. We used standard Tide, All or Kirkland laundry soap (along with softeners and bleaches as necessary) and standard Cascade dish washer soap along with Jet Dry. Doesn't really appear any different from the exterior than someone taking a long soapy shower or doing the dishes manually.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

And some places in the Great Lakes as well.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Could you show us a citation on that? I just did a Google search and I come up with it being a "No Discharge Zone", which means that 'no sewage, treated or untreated may be discharged'. That's black water. Gray water isn't addressed. http://water.epa.gov/polwaste/vwd/vsdnozone/upload/57FR44379.pdf

I think you may have succumbed to rumor, because Nantucket is so intense on trash and recycling, requiring clear bags.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Gray Water

Does anyone here have a recreational boat, less than say 80', that has a gray water tank? I believe some Dorals had them, but I never heard of one on anything else.
  7. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Happy reading:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en....1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..15.16.2031.TEsrihveH2U

https://www.google.com/search?q=sea...0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-serp..6.0.0.OzlG9s82fPk

https://www.google.com/search?q=bay.....1ac.1.34.heirloom-serp..5.3.329.mULL2tZrmyM

https://www.google.com/search?q=reg......1ac.1.34.heirloom-serp..4.1.93.bIpA3rYbrUE

or GOOGLE

(type boat company name) boats grey water tankage
  8. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

Sure, this is from the Nantucket boat basin website. Copied and pasted.

Waste Disposal & Pump-out Facilities
    Hazardous materials disposal, which includes oil, antifreeze, mixed bilge fluid, and contaminated gas. We also offer complimentary slip-side pump-out facilities at all three wharves from 8am-5pm daily. For waste removal assistance or to schedule a free pump-out, call our office at 508-325-1350.

Discharge Restrictions
    Nantucket bylaws prohibit the discharge of "gray water" - defined as waste water from sinks, showers, dishwashers, washing machines, and galleys. For your convenience, we offer 18 dock-side bath/shower facilities and a full-service, coin-operated laundry facility, located on Swain's Wharf. Local bylaws also require that you use environmentally safe, biodegradable cleaning products when washing your boat.

Graywater
    Nantucket water is among a few remaining on the East Coast that contain commercial and recreational populations of oysters, clams, quahogs, and cold water bay scallops. Therefore we must be diligent in our attempt to mitigate all manner of pollution.

-Surfactants (soaps and detergents) exhibit toxicity towards marine life and water quality. We must limit the amount of surfactants entering into the water column.
    -Nantucket waters have been declared a federally designated NO DISCHARGE ZONE; do not discharge any treated or untreated sewage or any rubbish or garbage into these waters. The Boat Basin has a free pump-out service for black water and gray water; please call the office to arrange an appointment.
    -Local by-laws also prohibit the discharge of gray water. We ask that you mitigate as much as possible the gray water that enters Nantucket waters. Nantucket Boat Basin has 18 bathroom/shower facilities located among the three main wharves as well as a coin operated laundry facility. We encourage you to use the onshore facilities.
    -When washing your boat, Nantucket by-laws require that you use only environmentally-safe, biodegradable cleaning products. It is illegal to use onboard dishwashers and washing machines that discharge overboard into Nantucket waters.
  9. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I have a washed a frying a pan in the sink after cooking bacon and it looked like the Exon Vadlez in the water!

I am also careful of the soapy water discharge from the sink, shower, and washing machine.

I am afraid to be shunned by the PC and tree huggers.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's interesting. I've been to Nantucket quite a few times and everyone I know showers on their boat. Not much dishes or laundry done that I know of, so I never considered it. Wonder if we'll hear from Pascal. He spends a lot of time there on the hook. Wonder if he ferries in for the shower and washes his dishes with sand. A few $300 fines could have boats fleeing Nantucket like a plague hit.

Hey, where does the water from shore side showers and laundries end up? Do they truck it off the island?
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You wash dishes with Salt, not Sand.....Haven't you watched sailboaters, come on.........Salt disinfects......that's why you use it on a cast iron skillet.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, many.....well more of a sump than a tank...... but they're rather small.....but still a tank....... Some azimuts have grey water tanks. A lot of boats have sumps/tanks that may hold 5 gallons of water........64' Hatteras MY has a tank.......
  13. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Since you asked nicely, here are two nice renderings:

http://www.nantucket-ma.gov/Pages/NantucketMA_DPW/MadaketWWTF.pdf
  14. Chapstick

Chapstick Member

That's a poor attitude. The public's perception (regardless of whether it's correct or not) matters - one sailor can tarnish the image of the entire boating community in the eyes of the public.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That word sump is almost always followed by the word pump on a boat. That sump doesn't hold the water, it contains it as the pump sends it overboard. On the 56 the water goes to a large sump from where it's pumped overboard. I carry 350 gals of water, not including what I would pipe in from shore. A gray water tank would have to accommodate that, and have an on-deck pump out.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

By taking a shower??? I'm too old to worry about it. If someone thinks that my taking a shower will "tarnish the image of the entire boating community in the eyes of the public" after my 57 year association with this industry and my 26 years of professional service that's their problem, and the public be ****ed.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Just take a shower on the swim platform in a speedo. You won't have to worry about pumping any gray water overboard, AND I don't think anyone will walk up to you and tell you otherwise.....LOLOLOL
  18. Chapstick

Chapstick Member

A shower?
    No, by turning the hose on someone who voiced concern about the environment of the city he lived in.
    I agree that that particular case - complaining about city water going into the ocean - isn't an environmental problem of any significance, but your attitude is: someone who meets a sailor with that attitude will likely associate it with all sailors - until he meets one with a better attitude.

And as for Tide - yes, dumping that overboard is bad for the environment. Personally I want my children, their children, and even their children after that to be able to enjoy the ocean and the life in it without having to worry about pollution dumped in it by previous generations.
    Every little helps. You could use low impact marine laundry detergent, but you can't be bothered.