Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Westport

US destroyer collides with oil tanker in Gulf

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Ju52, Aug 13, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

This is pretty much what I do at all times, whether the yacht I'm on has AIS or not, and I think it's what everyone else should do at night while on watch.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Personally I think it should be done during the day as well. If you are on watch you are responsible for the vessel and everyone on it. No books other than official ones , headphones in ears with loud music or other distractions while you are the one in control.
  4. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

+1

Hopefully there is an interlock to prevent this yacht's pilot house plasma http://www.oceanalexander.com/sites/default/files/yacht/120_ph_v4_web.jpg from deploying unless the engines and generators are off!
  5. 84far

84far Senior Member

I've personally been in the situation with not one but two Australian patrol boats coming towards me (and the guests on board), and only realized by picking them up visually. I think with the information we have now, I think one's finger can start pointing towards the Navy vessel, given it was at night, the commercial vessel would have little information as possible that the Navy vessel was there, and given the characteristics of that channel, with the Navy vessel going in there with that size commercial vessel coming out... "might has right".

Personally I would chuck the book at the Navy captain... a big thick one with some hurt behind it :rolleyes:

Far
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

According to reports, all was well thru the turn. It was as the two ships were about to pass on a straight course port to port that there was apparently a sharp verve by the USN vessel across the path of the tanker. What's that about? Why the silence'
  7. Telemachus

Telemachus Senior Member

Carl, you never told us you were a male model! How do you have time for this forum while simultaneously working with Claudia, Cindy, etc?
  8. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

No need to work-out when you're good with Photoshop! ;) :D