Click for Delta Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport

Updating the counter tops etc.

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Thisisit, Sep 20, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Well, the Admiral has spoken. She is serious about finding a way to cover up the 1987 counter tops and accent surfaces on our 3807. When you walk through the boat, and those with 3807's can understand, there are a lot of surfaces.

The main ones are the galley and the two large surfaces in the salon including the lower helm. But then there are the surfaces under the port windows, in the settee, the aft cabin the V berth, everywhere.

How does one cover up 1987 with 2013? I'm not considering a full re and re, just a good way to update the colour. Any ideas?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Pictures? What is on the counter tops now?
  3. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

I have no pictures handy. They are currently a darker dusty rose. Most, if not all of the surfaces have a teak profile running along the outer edge as you would expect on most boats. This is the main problem. I don't want to take out the teak edging. The replacement has to fit tightly within the current area. I was thinking about making a craft paper template of one of the smaller areas and perhaps having some melamine cut to size. I would get a good idea of how it would look.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Counters are counters whether on the boat or at home. You can either replace or cover. If you cover, the molding needs to be removed. The purpose of moldings is to cover the edge that you'll never make exact. To formica over isn't hard. You could also use a veriety of materials such as stailless, but pull the molding off or you'll never be happy. Do it carefully and you can put them right back on. Remember the second and most important reason for the moldings. They keep things from tolling off the counter.
    You could also change to countertops out completely. Corean is very today. Solid surface is also very nice, but be careful about weight. Heard of a guy who put in granite and almost turned his boat over.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

If you decide to replace then you just need to measure the thickness and look based on that. All counter suppliers have samples you'll be able to bring to the boat and look at with the decor.

Certainly covering as mentioned is a possibility but I'd like to toss out one more. If you like the basic material of the counter but not the appearance then you might consider resurfacing. It's the least expensive option, the quickest to do. I have seen some incredible resurfacing jobs done in extremely nice homes. One in particular, I thought for certain they had purchased new counters. Now, I've also seen jobs going the totally cheap route where they looked exactly like they were. They looked more dated than they did before.
  6. Pelagic Dreams

Pelagic Dreams Senior Member

My idea...

We plan on having stainless counter tops on our boat. We have them now in our home and love them. They are lighter than stone, super clean, and look great. The clean line they create give the kitchen a very polished look.
    Just my thoughts....they are not that expensive in comparison to others.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

On most yachts the galley is part of the living space, and a smallish living space at that. Stainless steal can often be a bit overwhelming with a commercial kitchen feel rather than a nautical feel. You might find that what looks great in a modern home looks out of place on a boat. I haven't seen many SS galleys on boats except on larger (mostly commercial) yachts where it's a totally seperate area. But hey, different tastes is what makes the world go around.
  8. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

There is a company called Granite Transformations. You can Google them.
    They come in and laminate a 3/16" thick sheet to the existing countertop. It is surprisingly light. We had it done in our Viking and it turned out great.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The custom SF builders like Merritt and Jim Smith do this as well. It was also done on the World is Not Enough.....it's a very popular practice and lasts and saves a lot of weight.
  10. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Yes we think of granite as heavy but it can be quite strong in thin sheets and not add much weight at all.
  11. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Thank you all for your replies. I will be Googling and You Tubing all of the options and suggestions. The biggest problem is that it's just not the galley. That's where it starts. There are other surfaces with the same finish that will all need to be done in order to look the same. I think resurfacing all the others to look the same but then replacing the galley counter top by itself may be a viable option.