Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Comfort Click for Nordhavn

Unexpected issues for a new live aboard?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by btyson, Aug 22, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Started with two old cats, then 3, then a kitten. Yep, 4 kats on board.
    No rats on board or around the docks we stay at. No bird droppings around. They NEVER wonder from the boat. Hang an old carpet scrap over the swim platform so they can crawl back on board (it works). And every time we drop the anchor, all are on the bow checking it out. Below is a pic of one on morning watch.

I hope the pic is not to big.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

just wondering, what does a fender near the AC discharge do?

i have 40 yrs on the water including a few living aboard.

im sorry i have no idea what would wrong with doing that.

is it just one of those "no-no" things, like having bumbers hanging whild underway or hanging laundry on the rails?????
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The AC water discharge hits the fender, splashing water everywhere, makes extra noise. More water stains on your boat, fender, dock and maybe your neighbors boat.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I saw on 1 boat where the boat leaned against the fender and would actually block the discharge from the a/c and it would kick off on high pressure. The owner couldn't figure out why sometimes the master stateroom a/c would kick off on HP and sometimes wouldn't till I showed him why.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Good bug...
  6. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

I see that you too belong to The Order of Cats and Gargoyles. Good show.
    BTW, Mr. Foredeck Cat is looking a tad burly; getting enough deck watches?
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Order of C & Gs??? More of us are out there???

One of the few things da wife brought from the yard when she moved us on was Gargie. Her two original Kats would rub on Gargie for luck as they passed by the front door of the house. Josie (wife) always assumed that Gargie offered some luck and protection so she brought him aboard and lashed him down. I felt it was better than plastic flamingos or yard turtles so gave in quickly.
    All the Kats rub on him and Luck & Safety have been with us for years and many miles.
    Big Kat weighed in near 20 lbs the other day. From below, we hear him patrolling (playing on) the decks at night. We don't talk much about his eating disorder but he's happy. Always joked about having a lion or panther as a pet, he's as close as that idea as were going to get.
  8. mwagner1

mwagner1 Senior Member

I have a few friends who had a novel way of dealing with storerooms full of stuff either not needed nor wanted.....they simply stopped paying the rent and let the storage place deal with the stuff :p....there are people everywhere who actually make a living this way by contracting/working with storage businesses to come in and remove the stuff so that the company can re-rent the space.....at least some of the stuff is sold on Amazon or Craig's List and they (my friends) felt happy that they did not contribute to the local landfill (well, in a round a bout way)...sorry to hijack the thread!!

Cheers,
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

How is it morally right, to stop paying rent that you agreed to pay someone for lease of their property, make them deal with the hassle of getting rid of someone else's junk and not being able to re-rent their property until it's cleared out, and causing them to lose money between the rent your buddies owed them and the cleaning of the place and time to find a new tenant, as well as legal fees?
  10. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

And why mess up your credit history by defaulting on a lease? If the auction price of the unit doesn't cover the past due rent (2 or 3 months), late fees, notice fees, advertising fees and auction fees that amount will also go to a collection agency further harming your credit. If you want to avoid putting the stuff in a landfill how about just calling the storage facility and get the names of some of their regular auction hunters (Sanford and Son) and sell the contents directly to them. If they won't pay you $50 or $100 it's all going into the dumpster when it goes to auction anyway.
  11. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

We have a member on YF called Marmot. Check out his User CP location, it's the Sanford's yard address. :D