Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Mulder

TV show- "Below Deck"

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by ychtcptn, Jul 26, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

That doesn't actually surprise me at all. A friend of mine worked as a manager at the primary executive jet FBO at YUL and the stories of what the "clean up" crew found aboard the jets when they had to go in to tidy up to turn a chartered jet around was atrocious. o_O

Drug paraphernalia, spent prophylactics, bodily fluids where you don't want bodily fluids to be... there were days he wished for a HAZMAT suit. :confused:
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

The book from Capt. Lee (Running Against the Tide) is out next month, Sept. 18.

I'll be picking it up... should be entertaining.
  3. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

Yeah, all the film crew bs too.
  4. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

We've hosted film crews on board that were worse than any charter customer. Demanding, getting in your way, always in your face and that was on deck. Up on the bridge - we tossed them off. They left a remote camera instead. They were guests of the owner then, but now I own the vessel. No one comes aboard exc military and customs.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

That's like those who have rented their houses out for movies or television shows. They're shocked at the wear and tear and damage.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

How about 2 guys that chartered a 75' MY for 2 days and 3 nights for the Colombus Day regatta many years ago. Limited to 12 people.....12 people get on board, mostly women boat leaves marina and anchors, a center console shows up with 13 more guys......all from a gang in Hialeah...….25 people on a 75' MY and a gang on top of it all. Only a Captain and mate on board with 13 big guys.
  7. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Ja
    Joao "snapping a dickie" (a picture of his *****) using another crew members smart phone would result in immediate dismissal from any boat I was captain of.
  8. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Great line from the latest Below Deck Sailing Yacht episode:

Chief Stew: Smells like America... like, it reminds of Fort Lauderdale.

Chef: "Fort Lauderdale" and "America" are very different things.

:D
    YachtForums likes this.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Your post brought me to look at a post (#3, 2011) I made here back at the start of this thread: " Living it is one thing, but watching it? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Deadliest Catch it won't be. Sounds like a boat version of Housewives of....". Funny thing is that the wife and I have recently gotten into watching it and the new "Sailing" version, mainly because since retiring we watch too much TV and there's nothing else on we haven't seen. Since this is an area of the business I only have a passing acquaintance with there's some questions I'd like to ask those more experienced.
    1) Are these the types of crew you normally get? (Inexperienced and dysfunctional. Constantly jumping each other's bones and getting drunk constantly when off the boat.)
    2) Are your charter guests generally as dysfunctional and pompous as those shown on these shows?
    3) Do you think these guests who pay a pretty penny would ever do it again after seeing how these crews talk about them.
    4) Do Captains and chief stews not explain to young crew that when you talk about someone behind their back the odds are they're right behind yours?
    4) Would somebody please tell the captain of the sailing yacht that it's a salon not a saloon.

On the up side Deadliest Catch starts again April 14th.:D
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

For years I couldn’t stand BD but in the last few months I v watched a few episodes but watching it as a comedy show. That way it s funny. Like when a crew drops guests on the beach and forget to bring towels and water... what??? We never leave guests on a beach alone just in case they want to get back and they never get on the tender without a fully packed cooler full of their preferred drinks!!!

now if the crew wasn’t dysfunctional, drinking and screwing, there would be no show...

Watching it makes me so happy that we run an 84 footer, just the two of us and only one crew. Yeah it must be nice for the captain to spend all his time on the bridge, almost never leaving and just summoning crew with a radio. Honestly I think I d go nuts out of boredom though....

Deadliest catch was fun early but for the last few years they ve turned into desperate housewives... bickering and talking about their feelings. Really?? These rough guys acting like their on a shrink couch ? :)
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

April 14; saving the date.

I'll never understand this Below deck thing. When I do catch it, every time, my stomach turns and I have to turn it off. Really tried, REALLY,, to follow the snail boat thing. UUGGHHHHHH..
    It seems, there are stronger stomachs here than mine. I bow to you, my brothers of the porcelain goddess.

PPEEEUUUUUUUWW
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Watched it a few times, a few minutes each time.
    Too much drama, no common sense, no nothing. :(
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

So is it offering a poor representation of real charter operations?
    I think so.
  14. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

As nouns the difference between salon and saloon is that salon is a large room, especially one used to receive and entertain guests while saloon is (us) a tavern, especially in an american old west setting.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember Pike stating, many years ago, both terms were correct as the main gathering place on a yacht.
  16. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

If there's a bar in the salon, that makes it a saloon... right?
  17. T.T.

T.T. Senior Member

maybe......just add a dozen or so ladies under conehead hair dryers and the smell of hair spray!!
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Hopefully Capt. Gary reads YF. Every time he calls the salon the saloon in like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Norseman: "Watched it a few times, a few minutes each time.
    Too much drama, no common sense, no nothing. :("
    The bodies aren't bad.
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

OK, Who is Pike?
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.