Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for MotorCheck Click for Burger

TV show- "Below Deck"

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by ychtcptn, Jul 26, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Did I hear they're having an all-female crew? That should lead to a whole different type of drama.
  2. Cruz

Cruz Member

There are male crew members. Female Cap, Bosun and Chief Stew (first season with a female Bosun).
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Drama or nonsense?
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

BOTH
  5. Cruz

Cruz Member

6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Interesting that the crew makes about what a normal crew makes. Must be looking for their 15 minutes of fame or a TV career, because i can't see it helping their careers in the yachting industry. Would anybody here hire them after seeing how they talk about their guests and fellow crew members? As for nobody remembering the names of the guests who embarrass themselves, I guess that may depend where you're from. I committed to memory the name of the drunken, apparently steroid fueled doctor and the spoiled little princess stew who lied on her CV (both from Long Island) and I can tell you that's one doctor who will never see me in his office and I assume any hospital he's associated with has a few questions. As for Capt. Sandy, I think she's in over her abilities with the new yacht, but it'll make interesting TV if she crashes it.
  7. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

She is a friend, and she is not.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Hopefully so. She had mentioned that this is the biggest boat she's run, and doesn't appear comfortable docking it. I'm sure having a film crew over her shoulder and fresh crew doesn't help though.
  9. Ken Bracewell

She's likely having difficulty because the builder didn't allow for an actual wing station, rather she has to hang out a sliding window. I've driven boats with the "bus-driver" style wing in the bridge, and they don't offer much in the way of visibility. It's like trying to drive a car, pedals and all, from the passenger seat.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Know that situation all too well, and totally understand. I've run a few boats with zero visibility over the back 180*. Compounded I'm sure by having to depend on unproven crew for eyes. Hope you (and she) don't take offense by my comment. It's strictly from the point of a reality TV viewer, not as a fellow mariner. She's certainly way more qualified than myself.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

This could easily be solved with a yacht control, or the wired remote control offered by ZF etc.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Maybe, but the thought of getting over 100' away from the helm, not seeing what's happening around the bow as she swings, and operating with a remote is pretty scary in itself. Hopefully she has aft and side cameras at the helm.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

True, but you could always add additional normal stations too, if you were willing to spend the money.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Now you've left the realm of the captain and entered into the realm of owner and TV producer, aka the yacht looks pretty.:rolleyes: Hence no wing station.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I used to run a converted 110' raised pilothouse crew boat without even an inside wing station. Add to that a band playing right behind me. The parties on the upper deck were great fun. Docking not so much .:eek:
  16. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

For you med mooring experts, I've noticed that when they show views of the moored boats, there are lines coming off the front of the boats. When and how are they deployed? In a previous season it seems they dropped an anchor as they were backing towards the dock, I assumed they would pay out chain while backing and then take up the slack after getting the stern tied off. Just wondering.
  17. Ken Bracewell

They are called ground lines and are attached to a mooring chain in the harbor. There will be a smaller diameter line, which is attached to the pier, and is used to pull the larger diameter ground line off the bottom. It is then attached to the cleats/bollards on the bow. This avoids the hassle of crossing anchors with other vessels, and makes departure much easier.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I am no expert in Med Mooring, only had to do it a couple of times, always on anchor. In some places like Nantucket, one of the few med mooring marinas (for really big boats) in the US they use two anchors and have divers when arriving an leaving to make sure nothing gets tangled up.

I ve also seen some places where they have a buoy like a traditional mooring. Here in Miami Island Gardens marina uses that setup.

Last night I ended watching the show... Ken, how real is the part where Captain Sandy cancels leaving the dock because the winds have picked up above 15kts?
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have no idea, but if I told an owner that here, they'd laugh and think I was joking. Perhaps it's because the wind direction and anchorages aren't good? IDK.
  20. Ken Bracewell

Yes- this is a pretty inefficient and expensive way to do it. Same in St. Barth's. Usually costs around $150/anchor for the diver to retrieve.

The issue with this setup is that you have to then maneuver between the buoys to get into your slip. And the marina has to have a small boat to (usually) pull the buoy out of the way, and then attach a line to it for you.

I was wondering the same thing. These BD charters are short term, so perhaps she didn't have a protected anchorage within range to get there and back before the end of the charter? Or perhaps it has something to do with the windage/maneuverability of the boat?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.