Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Abeking

Turquoise Yachts 77 meter "GO" doesn't STOP!

Discussion in 'Turquoise Yacht' started by Yacht News, Feb 24, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I find What Ifs scenario very educating and a good exercise to plan for emergencies.

Many times in past I ve wondered what I should do if experience a control failure. I ve only had one, years ago, docking a 70 footer up at Fairhaven shipyard when the Morse control for the port engine shutdown. No biggies, finished on Stbd and bow thruster

but what if one or both engines get stuck in gear? Do you throw in the towel right away, shut down the mains, becoming a passenger only being able to steer with rudders and thruster (if not hydraulic powered by the main)? Do you hope that the glitch will go away and you will regain control? Each situation is different because of the environment but always worth thinking about it.

in this case, as well as in others like that Westport (?) in the PNW a few months ago, wondering if the captain shouldn’t have shut down the mains wouldn’t have been a better option. They clearly had thrust all the way till they hit the first time.

One of our big boats captain can correct me if I m wrong but I can’t imagine any vessel of any size doesn’t have a shut down button separated from the engine control system.

and then if you have a malfunction that you recover from, do you attempt to move the boat right away (assuming the boat isn’t in immediate danger, like in the rocks) or do you wait, and possibly get towed.

if a public report comes out, I don’t see how the captain will not be blamed for attempting to move the boat right away.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Typically some fault lies with multiple parties. I don't find that a characteristic of the reports as much as a fact of accidents. Two boats collide and one generally primary blame while the other failed to avoid. I would expect in a case like this to see equipment manufacturer, boat builder, and crew all to be mentioned. However, I don't expect to ever see the report.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.