Click for Delta Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn

Tuffak (Makrolon) VR, AR or Marine 5??

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Rusty Mayes, Apr 4, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Rusty Mayes

Rusty Mayes Member

Interested in people's experience with having sewn Makrolon polycarbonate windows installed on bridge enclosures
    Did you have VR 040 and wish later that you went with the Marine 5 060?
    Did the VR hold up past five years with little to no yellowing?
    If it did not hold up, what latitude does the boat reside?
    Is the Marine 5 060 really worth paying the premium for?
    Do you have AR 060 and find that it holds up in the curved panels?
    There is varying and conflicting information about the service life of polycarbonate sheeting. Looking to get actual real world experience for guidance.
    Thanks
  2. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I don’t recall whether I have the 040 or the 060 but I usually would opt for the most durable. The current polycarbonate windows I have on the boat are atleast the 2 or 3rd set I have had on the boat. I like it better than EC2Y which I think is a different product. EC2Y would crack if you flexed the panels too much. Polycarbonate will tolerate flexing and bending better then EC2Y in my experience. Without checking my past invoices I feel like I have got 4 years out of my current set and don’t see why I won’t get another year or 2 before replacing and the boat is in S. Florida all year. To me some crazing will start in the corners before any yellowing. When I see that starting I get the whole enclosure redone. So I have not had any yellowing yet. I like polycarbonate and see no reason to go with EC2Y which last I checked was more expensive. It was cracking when bending of the EC2Y which made me switch.
  3. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I just replaced my 22y/o EZ2CY last year and quite frankly it was because the Stamoid was breaking down. So I had great life out of mine. Mind you the boat is on the Great Lakes so that does make a huge difference.