Click for Comfort Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Furuno

Trumpy Yachts

Discussion in 'Trumpy Yacht' started by YachtForums, Jan 12, 2004.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Trianon for sale

Attached Files:

2. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Survival Rate

According to the (well-informed?) sources here - approx. 80 of the 448 Trumpys built are known to exist today (18%).
    http://zegapi.com/view/?book_name=Classic Yacht Nov07
    The last of which (of three) is (still) named "Sirius" - one of which (located Kent Narrows) is shown here.
    Cheers!
    Eric
    PS - Completed sea trial of "Adjournment" ('69 CC Roamer Riviera 38' (AL)) to Harris Marine/Kent Narrows yesterday. Seen her there Sea Eric? :p
    [T/370 Yanmars/turbos - wowee]

Attached Files:

3. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Yes, I see she is lying next to the lift well at Harrison's Yacht. Can't miss that distinctive Roamer cabin window cut out. Is she for sale? I'm now a Chris Craft owner in addition to my 46 Matthews. I recently purchased a 315 Commander Sportfish. Nice little boat.

"Sirius" is my across the dock neighbor at Piney Narrows.

FYI, "Sea Hammock" pictured in the post above has run into some trouble in the Carolinas. She snagged a stabilizer fin on an obstruction in the ICW. She is now on the hard at Moores Marine Yacht Center for repairs. She reportedly did not sink, but she did get some water in her aft, where it shouldn't have been.

Cheers.
  4. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

SmallWorldAfter,...

...,all.
    Yup, sheZ a brick: simply could not believe the "magic": them Yanmars literally pick her up and blast you down the road; all to the tune of "Top Gun". :p Unbelievable.
    And no, she's simply in for installation of a vacu head unit.
    If you can peek inside, this is what you'd see.
    Cheers!
    Eric
    PS - That 315 is a fine fishing machine - got 454s?

Attached Files:

5. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Nice looking yacht! I want that dinette table.

Yes, my 315 has 454's.
  6. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Here's a photo of the subject craft....

Attached Files:

7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

What a find! Very nice Eric. Looks like the day it was launched. Congrats! :)
  8. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I have it from a pretty trusted source that she went to the bottom (the deckhouse was still dry as it was shallow). She apparently snagged the fin on something awefully hard right between the ICW markers in the middle of the channel. She was quickly floated and taken to Jim Moores.
  9. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Here is Jim Moores' comment from his weblog posting-

"She is a grand houseboat, Contract 400, built for John Kimberly and launched as “Eskimo.” In the next few days, I was receiving calls like there had been a telegraph sent out in the Trumpy community. I repeated the same answers: “No, she is not cracked in two. No, she did not sink! She flooded aft.” The fact is most of the damage I could see was water damage. So if you hear a lot of nonsense, set things straight."

From the presumed source!
  10. socalgal

socalgal New Member

Washingtonian

I have sold quite a number of Trumpys in my career, and consider myself a reasonable source of limited information. Most recent sales are "Washingtonian" 1939 63' Houseboat and "Vixen II" 1947 54' Cruiser with cockpit, built by Trumpy to fulfill an Annapolis Yacht Yard contract/a Chris Nelson Design.

Eric[/QUOTE]

Eric,
    I am wondering if you can tell me more about the Washingtonian? I noticed she is for sale again (not sue why since she was purchased so recently). I have seen her on and off over the last several years, and have always loved her classic lines. We are novices, but I have talked with my husband about how nice it would be to own something so historical and beautiful. What are some of the things that I should know before purchasing a vessel like the Washingtonian? Can you cruise her along the coastline in an area like Southern Calfornia?
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

12. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Socalgal, Washingtonian is for sale again due to her owners time constraints in using the boat. She is currently having a paint job and will be looking good soon. There's no reason why she would not be a comfortable cruiser for any inland/near coastal applications.

Pascal, Yes Flying Lady is a beauty. She home ports in the Houston area along with Aurora, another later model houseboat.

The unidentified yacht is indeed a Trumpy. She looks to me like 75' "Coconuts" aka the former "Exact" and "Patience II"
  13. socalgal

socalgal New Member

Thank you for your response. Any idea what one might expect to spend on annual maintenance for a boat like the Washingtonian? Do you know of any major restorations required? Any details you have would be greatly appreciated.
  14. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

The Washingtonian has enjoyed the benefit of a $1.M + refit in recent years. With normal cosmetic maintenance and proper stewardship, she should be good to go for many more years of service. My specs on YachtWorld should be quite complete. Any further specific questions can be quickly answered.

With hands on, capable owners- A budget of around $50,000/year should keep her looking good. If you hire full time crew and use a yard for most of the work, the budget could exceed $100,000/year. Geography also has an effect. There are cruising areas where good mechanics are plentiful and reasonable. Other areas, not so much. When you own a yacht like Washingtonian, it is helpful to assemble a group of craftsmen to participate in her care. The good news there is that she is so beautiful and such a standout in the harbor, the locals will typically come and introduce themselves and offer their specific services to the owner.
  15. SeanC

SeanC New Member

High Spirits went west -

In a post nearly a year ago, alloyed2sea identified the boat below as the "High Spirits". While she is the same vintage, she is missing the top deck pilothouse that was unique for the High Spirits. Some years back the High Spirits was bought by Hornblower Yachts in California and is now serving time doing booze cruises in San Diego. Below is her current photograph.

Unidentified Mathis / Trumpy
    Trumpy.jpg

High Spirits
    highspirits.jpg

By the way, High Spirits was originally built at 110 loa but after her stem was found to be suffering from rot, the stem was replaced, adding a slight clipper bow and 2 feet to her length. I don't know when or where that work was done but it does make her a little different from her comtemporaries like, Sequia or Enticer. Columbia comes to mind with the plumb bow as well.
  16. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Litchfield Lady Spotted

In Falmouth Mass.
    Lucky find (tuned around and there she was); plus another blue-hulled one across the harbor (being investigated).
    Probably one of Dr. Nichols fabulous yachts.
    Stay tuned....:p

Attached Files:

17. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

The blue Trumpy is likely this one, "Eagle" Contract # 394 hailing from Woods Hole, MA.

Attached Files:

18. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Bingo!

Correct for two marks.
    The felicitous "Eagle" she is indeed.
    Gracing Falmouth Harbor together with several other fine yachts owned by the same yachtsman (with impeccable taste). Word is, he has them "Nicholized" in Florida beforehand. Witness the indomitable "Patriot" - another of his fine collection. :p
    Cheers!
    Eric

Attached Files:

19. k gilliam

k gilliam New Member

Argo History

I lived aboard the ARGO. Bought her in 1958. She burned in 1970 but was rescued and rechristened in the 1980's. I have lots of pictures and log books :) Anyone know where she is now??

20. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Hello K Gilliam, ARGO, Doc# 209514 is current in the Coast Guard records. The owner is in NH and the hail port of the boat is New York. I'm sure her current owner would enjoy seeing the historical info that you have from your ownership. I will send you a PM with the owner's contact info from the net.