Click for Northern Lights Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Burger

Trumpy Yachts

Discussion in 'Trumpy Yacht' started by YachtForums, Jan 12, 2004.

1. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

The very last Trumpy ever built, "Sirius" contract #448 is for sale. She is a 60' Houseboat launched in 1973. This is a rare opportunity to own a true piece of American Yachting history. Contact me by PM for details.

Attached Files:

2. Manusel

Manusel Member

Looking for the original identity of this one, called at the time "Ballerina." She looks like a Mathis Trumpy, but maybe not. None of the vessels listed in the back of the Tolf book was ever named Ballerina. So , maybe she had another manufacturer. Ballerina a.jpg
  3. Manusel

Manusel Member

Ballerina b.jpg
  4. Manusel

Manusel Member

Ballerina bed.jpg
  5. Manusel

Manusel Member

Ballerina deck.jpg
  6. Manusel

Manusel Member

Ballerina interior.jpg
  7. Manusel

Manusel Member

Ballerina c.jpg
  8. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

There is a "Ballerina" listed in Lloyd's that sounds like a match for the pictured yacht. Built by Matthews in 1928. Powered by GM 671's of 1951 vintage. I'd say she's the same "Ballerina".
  9. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

O/N 224541 built by The Matthews Boat Company in 1928 (other sources say 1925) as "Irwin" for Julius Heilner. Later names "Allo", "Frank Davis III" and "Ballerina". She was reportedly the very last "custom" yacht ever built by Matthews who then went on to building their "stock" cruisers.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  10. Manusel

Manusel Member

Yep, Eric. You beat me to it! i think the 1925 date is correct. The pictures above are from the sales brochure put out by the owner in 1953, Laurence D. Ely of New York. Here's a shot of what she looked like in 1925. Note she originally had a raised bridge. Irwin.PNG
  11. Manusel

Manusel Member

Compare the original saloon to the photo above. Irwin int..JPG
  12. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I'm not convinced that's the same boat. The stack and masts are different. And the sheer line at the bow looks different. The porthole and window count are the same though.
  13. Manusel

Manusel Member

I'm certain it is the same boat. Here's a clearer picture of her. Irwin.jpg
  14. Manusel

Manusel Member

Compare the raised gunwale combing at the bow with the single oval chock. It's identical in both photos. The raised pilot bridge, dual masts, and traditional stack probably all went by the wayside at the same time. I wonder if maybe she went under a low bridge or something.
  15. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

In this last photo the name "Irwin" is clearly visible. I agree, same boat. She sure did have a big refit at some point. Perhaps when she was re-powered in 1951.
  16. TroupN

TroupN New Member

St. Simons Island, GA - yacht sold and now is in F
    1918 or 1919 Trumpy Friendship is now in dire straits. She was bastardized inside and outside many years ago. She resided in Darien, Georgia for many years. She finally sank at her dock in 2014. She was purchased underwater for a buck and was raised and put on the rail in Darien. Suppose to have had her bottom fiberglassed and a new generator put on board in 2014. Bottom painted and refloated. As of Thanksgiving 2016 she has been moved to a creek viewable from I-95 just south of Darien, GA in the North bound lane. This spot is considered locally as a burial ground for boats. She is tied up to a sunken abandoned shrimp boat. Owner says she is "for sale". Great selling location. There are not many Trumpy's from these years afloat. This Trumpy should not be allowed to rot and sink in this location (or any other location). Trumpy folks should try to figure out a way to save this vessel. Right now she is sitting in mud and is mostly high and dry in the mud at low tide. This is a plea to Trumpy folks who know how to create an organization to save this vessel. I cannot do this, but I am in this area and can help any way I can. It will take ALOT to reconstruct this Trumpy as the outside and inside have been altered to try to create a party boat; but was never completed. She is in really bad shape. I don't think the seller thinks she will ever sell; therefore he has brought her to the graveyard. Obviously not a place to showcase a vessel for sale. Images of this Trumpy (and others) can be found at my Trumpy set of galleries here:
    http://www.southeasternphotography.com/Boats/Trumpy-Yachts
  17. Manusel

Manusel Member

Wow, she was originally Nadesah, laid down in 1919 for H. D. Carstairs of Philadelphia. She was a sister to Osana. Nadesah.JPG
  18. Manusel

Manusel Member

Another view Nadesah or Osana 80' Mathis 3-9-0-transom.JPG
  19. Manusel

Manusel Member

Under construction Nadesah possible 80'x18' Mathis under const. in 1920  3-9-0 transom.JPG
  20. Manusel

Manusel Member

Interior Nadesah possible Mathis interior 1920.JPG