Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights

Trumpy Yachts

Discussion in 'Trumpy Yacht' started by YachtForums, Jan 12, 2004.

1. aqualityfg

aqualityfg New Member

Tramp was sold

She was recently purchased and is set to be restored. She will live again. I want to know one thing. Why is it OK to remove all the original wood work, in a restoration, but it's a "Taboo" to fiberglass over these classic wooden boats?
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

The purists frown on a FG bottom for a pedigreed Classic. Not me. If properly done, whatever rebuild method that permits continued life and service is fine with me. Given a choice between the chainsaw and FG, the answer is simple.
  3. djustin

djustin New Member

My father was the gentleman that purchased Tramp. He just came back from Florida where he stayed aboard just doing some general clean up and getting to know her. He took a sizable amount of pictures if anyone would like to see anything in particular. I am a diesel mechanic in the Army and will be going to see if I can come up with a battle plan to get the mechanics functioning and also looking 100% again.
  4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

We would love to see what she looks like, and follow your progress. Make sure you read the rules for photos before you post them here. I'm pleased to learn that Tramp has an opportunity to survive. Tell your father Thank You!
  5. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

There has been a 2011 year-end flurry of sales activity in the Trumpy world. 60' Cruiser "Sirius" has reportedly sold. 67' Cockpit Cruiser "Blue Moon" a bank repo has been reported as sold. 63' Houseboat "Showtime" was sold at a Marshals sale subject to final court approval.

Hopefully all three of these yachts have found good stewardship.
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

While cruising the ICW in Jupiter, FL on Christmas Day, I caught the Trumpy "America" celebrating the holiday in Florida fashion...

Attached Files:

7. trumpy1

trumpy1 New Member

This looks a lot like "Blue Moon". Am I correct? I used to work on Blue Moon, she was my first Trumpy!!
  8. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

"Showtime" is now in the hands of her new owner who purchased her at the Broward County Courthouse door during the US Marshall's sale back in December. She now has a good caring home with a knowledgeable owner.

9. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

"Liberty" has sold

"Liberty" the 68' Trumpy 1954 has been sold. The new owner who lives in Sweden has extensive wooden and classic yacht experience. He plans to have her refit here in Florida. She will remain in the area for his family's use for a few years then ship to the Med for some cruising. She will eventually move to her new home in Stockholm.

Attached Files:

10. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Marshals sale April 19th 2012 Trumpy "Carousel"

Did anyone here happen to attend the Marshal's sale in Hyannis? I'm curious to know if she sold.
  11. Capt. Mark

Capt. Mark New Member

Ft. Lauderdale is our hailing port but boat operat
    glass over wood

Just a shot re glass over wood. Just installed a transducer in the fwd section of the Jenny Clark,'62 54' cruiser, had to drill a 2" hole thru the hull. Planking was solid as a rock. Believe the glass work was done by Merritt in the late eighties. Recent survey found no soft spots.
  12. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Seeking "hands on" Trumpy Yacht Captain

There will be a full time Captain position coming available aboard a beautifully rebuilt pre-war Mathis/Trumpy. Her owner will be using her for family cruising and business entertaining on the East Coast US. New England in Summer and South Florida in Winter, and perhaps Chesapeake in Spring and Fall.

The ideal candidate or couple would be experienced in the day to day care and operation of a vintage wooden motoryacht to include basic brightwork and 2 cycle diesel engine maintenance.

For more details, contact me here on YachtForums using the PM function.
  13. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

"Sea Tabby" has been sold.

The beautiful 1938 Mathis Trumpy 61' "Sea Tabby" has been sold. The previous owners of 30+ years have been excellent stewards. She is in absolutely stunning condition. Her new owner is based in Miami Beach and will cruise her to Nantucket in Summer. Congratulations! She is a lovely yacht.

Attached Files:

14. ddw1668

ddw1668 Senior Member

"SEA TABBY" stopped by Monday on her way south.........

Attached Files:

15. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Sea Tabby came through Kent Narrows, Md. on August 20th. She sure is a handsome yacht!

Attached Files:

16. wmstites@hotma

wmstites@hotma New Member

Mathis MV "Content" 1912 photos

Greetings,

I came across these pictures of my great grandfather's boat "Content" that were shot in 1913, just after being launched, for an article in the NY Sun,
    viewed here:

The sun. (New York [N.Y.]) 1833-1916, May 18, 1913, Second Section Sporting and Automobiles, Page 7, Image 23 - Chronicling America (The Library of Congress)

She was sold after my great grandfather died in 1930. Later she served as a mail boat in the Bahamas and I assume faded away there sometime after WW 11.

Attached Files:

17. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Greetings wmstites, Welcome to YachtForums. This is a wonderful post. The photos are excellent and the newspaper article is fascinating. I just love this stuff. I see "Content" listed in the Trumpy book as contract #29 built in 1912 for M. Byron Megargee. She was USCG Official # 211169 which is clearly seen in your photo. The last evidence of her existence was a 1947 listing in Lloyd's Register. She is of course not a Trumpy (design) but rather a Mathis built yacht from a design by J. Murray Watts. Thanks for sharing this information.
  18. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

From the article " there is a bunk in the engine room for the engineer...."

Engineers have come a long way from that, no ?

Eric, I recall that Liberte also had a bunk in the engine room for the engineer to spend hot summer nights sleeping with his " baby".

wmstites, great post thanks. I love seeing vintage boats of any kind.
  19. TroupN

TroupN New Member

St. Simons Island, GA - yacht sold and now is in F
    1939 76' Trumpy "Drifter" and other Trumpy's

Not sure if I am allowed to add an url here to a gallery of Trumpy's or if I am replying to the thread or the previous reply. I have so many Trumpy images, that it would take a long time to edit image sizes to 640ppi and add just the "best" ones. So, I am giving an url to my Trumpy Gallery on my website.

I was a Captain for the Trumpy Yacht "Drifter" (which I see no images posted here) for over 5 years. I was a TowBoatUS Captain for the past 10 years (left them 6 months ago). So, I have had the great fortune to "live on the water" and have had many opportunities to photograph Trumpy's in US waterways.

If someone wants specific Trumpy images posted here from my galleries, let me know the Trumpy name and the number it appears in the gallery.

I have images of the Drifter, Hummingbird, Windrush, Friendship (1919!), Enticer, Lady Catherine, Bernadette, and Washingtonian.

If posting urls is not allowed, I apologize to the moderator in advance. I am not professionally promoting or selling anything. I do make sales on my website but truly am just posting this Trumpy url for the benefit of Trumpy lovers like myself.

Trumpy's:
    Southeastern Photography - Troup Nightingale : Boats : Trumpy Yachts

Captain Troup Nightingale
  20. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Great pictures. It's interesting to see that "Friendship" survives. She is a sister to "Mimosa" also a 1919 - 80 footer that lives on in Ft Lauderdale. Unfortunate that both have been horribly molested. Great to see these old gals still in service.