Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning

Trouble getting port engine into reverse

Discussion in 'Luhrs Yacht' started by Rscriv, Jun 10, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Rscriv

Rscriv New Member

Hi Everyone. 38 Convertable, I am having increasing difficulty getting my port engine (Cat 3126) into reverse. Hydraulic controls. It used to happen every now and then, it would take 2 or 3 attempts to go into reverse. Now it is happening more frequently. Forward fine, Starboard engine and steering fine.

Thoughts? Perhaps air in the line? Would bleeding this be similar to bleeding a steering system on a smaller boat?

Thanks! I hope everyone is getting out on the water and avoiding the craziness on land.

rich
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There is a small bleed screw on the control itself. ensure there is fluid in the system and 80psi pressure and throw an oil sorb town in place and bleed that screw.
    Now, ensure fluid and pressure again. With engine off. move the lever full cycle forward, reverse, forward, reverse 20 times. Place in neutral.
    Go below and ensure the clutch is really in neutral perfectly. Move the lever to reverse and ensure the clutch lever is all the way in reverse. Disconnect the linkage to prove this.
    After the bleed check and self calibrate, all should be good as long as the clutch lever is centered and travel is correct.

Do you have all your manuals. This is off my head but hard copy is better.
    I think you can still down load the manual from Sea Star.
    Dometic has purchased the company so no telling if it's still available.

I have the manuals somewhere on my old data server. PM me with a read email address if Dumbetic can't deliver.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

In addition to Capt Ralph, the other thing to check if that doesn't work is sintered bronze filter in the bottom of the can. Yes you can still get the parts. I think they're under the Sea-tech brand now.
  4. Rscriv

Rscriv New Member

I appreciate the comprehensive advice! I will try suggestions and let you know. Thanks!