Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Westport

Triple waterjets

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by CaptPKilbride, Jul 15, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Would be interested in having a discussion with anyone who has had time and experience operating a high speed yacht with triple waterjets.
    The recent article on the CCN 27-meter "Freedom" piqued my interest, and I would value hearing from people who have run boats like this.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

We chartered an AB when we went to Spain. We loved it in every way. Only criticism we had was that it wasn't as fast as some they offer, only had a max speed of 47 knots and a cruise of 36 knots. We were short of time and the ability to move around the Med quickly for our couple of days there was incredible. As to the boat, it ran and handled like a dream. We're fans of jets but had never experienced them on a boat that size before. You don't have to run it fast, but then you sure can enjoy doing so. It somehow combined the sensation of a smaller sport boat with the luxury of a large yacht.

We will at some point own a fast larger boat and it most likely will be jet propulsion.
  3. olderboater

AB's nearest model would be the AB 92. The CCN "Freedom" does use a similar propulsion arrangement to that AB uses with MTU and Rolls Royce and with the center a booster type unit. I don't know the HP on the CCN but imagine it's less plus the CCN is aluminum and the AB is glass.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Wish I knew more on the fuel consumption. My first thought is you have to spin up and get on plane before ANY benefits come into play. There must be still a nice fuel bill every night.
  5. CaptPKilbride

Ralph, I hear you there, anecdotally I have been hearing from some naval architects and propulsion guys that fuel efficiency is not a priority for some of these applications ... some owners will not care about fuel efficiency if they get what's desired in their wish list: a quiet, smooth, fast boat that handles well.
    I am more curious to see what others running triple waterjets have done operationally when running at slower speeds. I know each individual custom boat will be different, but I wonder about, for an example, a 40 knot boat that will spend a lot of time operating at 18-20 knots. Does the operator just throttle back on all three engines, or is there any advantage to running around on the two outboard engines with the steerable jets and leaving the center booster engine turned off .... Maybe only using the booster engine when higher speeds are desired?
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

These are ideas I have but no experience on. I would think down da ditch in slow speed, just the center engine, but again I'm guessing.
    I look forward to more replies here.
  7. olderboater

AB used 3 x 1825 hp a few years ago in a 92' to achieve the kinds of speeds CCN achieves. The current model with 3 x 2600 hp, running at WOT uses about 5.5 gallons per mile. Running with 7800 hp at 40 knots they use about 4 gallons per mile. Sounds horrible until you consider that we use 5 gpnm running an 85' Pacific Mariner at 25 knots or just under 4 gpnm at 23 knots while only 3.7 gpnm at 20 knots. From what little I've gathered, running at 20 knots you're using so little load that it's not going to be much different from other similar boats running that speed. At 20 knots, the AB 92 would use less fuel than our PM 85, but it also weighs less. Now, might we use more fuel if we had the 92? Yes, because we'd seldom run offshore at slow speeds like 20 knots.

Incidentally, a Pershing 82 will use nearly 5.3 gpnm at 42.8 knots and 5.2 gpnm at 34.5 knots with 4870 hp and surface drives.

What we observed indicated at similar speeds you were talking similar consumption, even less on the triple jets cruising at some lower speeds although more in accelerating to those speeds. Now, AB is likely made lighter and with more hp than the CCN. It's our belief that with an AB we'd use no more fuel per mile than we do now and perhaps less.

There is a perception that jets are less efficient than props. That's based on the smaller jets with large engines often used in smaller recreational boats and even the jets used in small Ribs. It's not true when you reach a certain size and you use jet systems like the MJP system and you couple them with the amount of power these boats have.

Now, no one who has great concern over fuel efficiency buys a 50-55 knot boat. As to the CCN, I don't know their buyer but suspect not fuel conscious. Pershing and Mangusta, even Riva buyers aren't focused on fuel. If we were fuel conscious we'd run the PM 85 at 10 knots and only use 1.4 gpnm, but we don't do that. Of course then we'd probably have a displacement boat of some sort. Although we've been told most Westport 130 owners run at 12 knots, we run more at 20 and average 15-18 knots so we use twice the fuel we could use if we ran slower.
  8. CaptPKilbride

You know you've made the big leagues when you start measuring in gallons per mile ;D

I found the use of aluminum an interesting design choice by CCN in this day and age of high tech composites, many high tech industries are going to carbon fibre and other composite solutions that are becoming less expensive and more widely used.
  9. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

With the advances in Welding equipment, aluminum is a cheaper alternative than high tech composites for weight savings.

Not saying better, just can be done for a cost savings.
  10. olderboater

Well, normally we do measure in nmpg, but it's always less than 1.

Interestingly, their Fuoriserie Custom line of 4 boats are all aluminum. In their regular models, 2 are composite, 3 are aluminum and 2 are steel hulls with aluminum superstructure. I guess the real outliers are the two Flying Sport models which are composite.

They offer it with twins or with the booster. Also interestingly they offer it with MAN engines. They show 1900 hp or 2300 hp but I didn't know MAN offered more than 1900 hp and apparently MAN doesn't know either as they only show 1900 hp max on their web site. Either way, it seems strange to me that you're building a "fast jet boat" where there's one builder clearly the leader in such boats and you build it to run 10 knots slower than anything AB builds. Perhaps they're building for a superior ride or with something else in mind or it's just what the customer wanted and was happy with.

As a potential buyer of such a boat, the lack of speed would eliminate it from our consideration. I know that seems strange to say on a boat with WOT of 40 knots and cruise of 34 knots but it's all comparative and the type boat. Interestingly, their 86' flying sport achieves 39 knots WOT and 35 knots cruise with twin 1920 hp MTU's and conventional drives and their 102' flying sport achieves 38 knots WOT and 32 knots cruise with twin 2640 hp MTU's and conventional drives. So, it's not appreciably faster than their conventional composite models.
  11. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

Having only gone that fast on smaller center consoles, hows the ride at that speed on a circa 100’? What about if a squall pops up while cruising and you would have to lower speed?
  12. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

13. olderboater

14. olderboater

We found the ride to be great at those speeds and at lower speeds more than acceptable. By that I mean it will handle rough water well at lower speed, but at 12 knots it won't handle rough water as well as a heavier full displacement boat would. It would handle fairly rough conditions (what some would consider very rough but we wouldn't) well still at moderate speeds of 20-30 knots, better than at 12 knots. Only at extreme conditions, which we did not encounter, have we been led to believe it will be better at 12 knots. That's really not all that different than other planning hulls we've been on. Many handle 4-6' at 6 to 7 seconds better at 20 knots or faster than at 10 knots.

You really feel a lot more in control at high speed in a 100'+ AB than in a 39' Center Console running 50 knots. You're still more in contact with the water.

It's a bit like a fine sportscar where if you're not careful you'll find you're going much faster than you thought just in the ride and handling. Still though you get the sport boat feel.

Most videos only show smooth water but this one has a little wake crossing at least.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...97F57F282D281E032C5897F57F282D28&&FORM=VRDGAR
  15. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I just came from a trip in Belize and there were a couple days that when the wind picked up, it would be 5-8’ with a 6 second period that would often double up. The boat we were in was struggling a bit in it but it’s nothing like a 100’ AB or just a 80k Pound flybridge planning yacht that should hold more weight going into the seas. I’m just used to a longer swell period on the pacific side where we often see large seas but with a long period which makes it not a big deal.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have been commenting of these POSs for a while. Somebody please open up a new thread on these.

On the original Post. I'm learning. Keep bringing the info up.
    Thx
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Also aluminum makes it easy to make hull or superstructure changes from boat to boat, or just a one off boat without the huge expense of first making a mold.

As for jets, they are efficient in a narrow rpm band of what their design parameters are (cruise or wot usually). The slower and slower you go below that, they become horribly inefficient.
  18. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

Hi CaptPKilbride, from our past conversations, I’d love to talk with you about Jet Drives and can do so at your convenience. Just finishing a new build currently that will be out on the water in the coming weeks.
  19. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

My brother (Freddie) has since retired from shipbuilding and left it for me to deal with.
    Welded alum is cheaper to build in half the time as carbon fibre/fiberglas/kevlar moulds. I use a lot more of it now that I'm back building sail cats. As to water jets - I've never found them to be that efficient as compared to Arneson drives. Sure wastes a lot of fuel though.
  20. CaptPKilbride

I keep seeing the efficiency word pop up .... but what if the client wants a fast boat that is whisper quiet with absolute minimum vibration? And doesn't care that a little more fuel is burned? Lets look at the big picture .... Let's say a boat is run 500 hours per year at 200 gallons per hour to use a nice round number. Annual fuel cost is $100,000. What are some real numbers in efficiency differences between the waterjets and other propulsion modes? And, in the end can another propulsion mode such as Arnesons, mentioned above, deliver the quiet and smooth underway experience that waterjets are known for?
    Just posing the questions because I haven't had any yacht waterjet experience, my only underway time on a waterjet boat has been on a 175' quad-waterjet crew boat in the Gulf of Mexico. And I have to tell you, I was quite impressed by the smoothness of that workboat.