Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Glendinning

Trip to Greek Islands 2008

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by nilo, Sep 9, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Nice stuff, I have fond memories of touring Greece, spent a couple of months there, mostly living on the Islands of Ios and Corfu.
    Great food, Great people, lousy booze.
  2. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Skinos and Dolce&Gabbana

We left Ios for Sikinos (http://www.greek-islands.us/sikinos/) and surprise of the day was Regina d'Italia. Her Wally tender was next to her. I presume she was towing the tender, as it was too big to take onboard. There are some very nice caves in water on Sikinos shores. They might be diving for them. Our initial intention was to stay overnight, but due to very strong Meltem and no place to safely tie the boat, because of the large cargo ship (most probably the water tanker) we decided to try our luck with Falagandros.

Attached Files:

3. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Folegandros to Milos

I went into Karavostasi in Folegandros to check whether we can stay for the night, but it was a small inlet and quite crowded, so not very safe for an overnight stay. Then I moved ahead for Vathi on the west side of the island, but the wind was blowing even more here. So, I decided to take the southern route in between the Poliagos and Kimolos to Milos (http://www.thegreektravel.com/milos/index.html). These islands are volcanic islands. It is predicted that Milos, Like Santorini has blown off and the bay is a crater. There are very nice, picturesque cliffs are on the south side Poliagos. The sea among the islands is relatively shallow and well protected from northerly Meltem.

Attached Files:

4. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Milos

Going into Milos, we came across "Sai Ram" of Benetti. We stayed at Adamas and visited Plaka on the top of the hills. It was a cute little village and had a nice sun set. The last time I visited Adamas, it was 10 years ago. There has been very positive developments. They have reworked the whole waterfront and now it is a quay extending over 500 meters.

We stayed for 2 nights and on the way back I decided to spend time at Poliagos, in the nice coves under the cliffs. This was one of the best turquoise waters I've ever swim in. The color of the cliffs were moving into the sea and the water was so clear, it was possible to see at least 100 meters easily.

Attached Files:

5. nilo

nilo Senior Member

She was still Pacific Harmony when she was offered to me. You are spot on, she was both expensive and a one off, so she did not have my interest.
  6. nilo

nilo Senior Member

cigdem

Regret, I do not have in depth information as well. If I come across anything, I will let you know.
  7. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Most welcome, I hope you enjoy it.
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks Nilo, I have not been sailing there since 1979 but much looks the same. Except for all the big yachts!

I was sailing around in the Dodecanese islands with an 80 foot ketch which was pretty big in those days and the only other big yacht we saw in a week was Hanse, then owned by Heini Thyssen and today totally rebuilt as Insignia.

What I loved was to come into a dark bay late in the warm evening, signalling to the taverna who opened up and came out with a small boat to pick us up. Then eating and drinking a lot for nothing and coming back onboard when the sun was about to rise again...:)
  9. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Andiparos & Paros

We headed for Andiparos and anchored between Despotiko and Andiparos. After spending the day in the sheltered bay, we decided to move to Paroikia, main town on the Island. Paroikia is the connection center for ferries to all the Dodacenese Islands, hence it was very busy. The small harbour was full and outside the breakwater there was a disturbing swell, so we stayed at anchor. At night "Sagitta" of Oceanfast arrived and anchored next to us.

Attached Files:

10. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Paroikia

On the other side of the bay "Diablesse" of Chantiers Naval de L'Esterel, France was at anchor. Broward "Java" also arrived and anchored next to us. She was most prorbably a charter yacht with a big party.

Attached Files:

11. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Paroikia

The town was in competition with other islands, specifically with Naxos in the old ages. The oldest churchof the Cyclades; Ekatontapyliani, which was build in the 4th century had also a legend attached to it.

"The pupil of the chief craftsman who built St. Sophia in Constantinople, built the Justinian temple of Ekatontapiliani. When he finished the temple the pupil invited the teacher to show him his work. The chief craftsman saw the perfection of the work and was afraid that perhaps the pupil would overshadow his reputation and his glory. Pretending therefore an architectural fault, he took him to the roof of the temple. From there the chief craftsman pushed his pupil with intent to kill him. The pupil however held on to the teacher and finally they both fell and were killed in front of the temple. The two sculpted forms, which are on the base of these gates, depict the chief craftsman and the pupil who were killed there".

When you look at the pictures, it is obvious that there was no comparison; but for those villagers who never had any chance to travel to "the city-Constantinapoly" it was easy to adopt and believe the legend and boast with their church.

http://www.ekatontapyliani.org/

We walked through the town, nice small alleys full with people and gift shops and had a good dinner in a garden restaurant named Daphne.

Attached Files:

12. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Amargos & Kos

We left Paros and sailed through the Naxos channel. On the way we came across Feadship "Quintessa". We had lunch and swim break on the south side of Naxos at Kalamos Bay. This was a lovely sand beach. They have recently build a breakwater on the eastern side for small boats. It is far away from the crowds. We left Kalomos for Amorgos. We have stayed some 15 years ago on the islands during one of our cruises. We wanted to refresh the memories and went into Aigialis, instead of Katapola. It was nice to witness that nothing has changed during all these years.

There was a nice sun set. In the fourth picture you will see the eastern side of the island. Because there is no other object to compare, the picture does not justify the impressive cliffs. These cliffs are at least 300 meters (1000 feet) above the water. I have taken the picture from a distance of some 3-4 miles. Our next destination was Levitha island. This is a small island between Amorgos and Kalimnos. Very nice shalter and inlet. 15 years ago there was no facility, but now they have buoys for anchorage on the easter side for small boats. Beatiful deep waters (I have seen 90 meters next to the shore in 40 meters distance). On the easter side we anchored at 35 meters and had a rope to shore.

On the way in to Kos, we came accross "Monte Carlo" of Feadship.

Attached Files:

13. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Kos

We moved in between Kalimnos and Pserimos channel into the main harbor in Kos. During the passage we came across this large sailboat. She must be a charter boat. I could not record the name. We also passed by "Tatianna Per Sempre", a new Baglietto. She has anchored on the south side of Pserimos island.

Attached Files:

14. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Kos

Our good agent and old friend Murat (Phone +306944913888) has reserved us a berth next to the city walls away from the crowds. We came alongside, which was another bonus, because there is a high risk to drop the anchor in this busy place, where you may easily have others on your chain. Although there is a new marina some 500 meters to the eastern side of the town, I still prefer to go into the old port, because then you are right in the town, easy walking distance.

Kos also is very much influenced by the Turkish period. There are several monuments and Mosques from that period.

We cleared out at Kos and left next morning for Turkey. On the way, Huntress was cruising north after her stay in Turkish waters.

Attached Files:

15. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Knidos and Selimiye

On the way to Knidos (Deve Boynu Burnu) two Baia boats passed by. Approaching the headland, I noticed a sunken coaster lying on the rocks.

I had the intention to stay in the ancient harbour for a swim, but it was too crowded, so we kept on moving towards Selimiye.

When I entered Selimiye newly refitted and reshaped "Princess Zeynep" was at anchor.

Attached Files:

16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Great photos, It seems particularly odd to me to see Huntress (ex Sea Sedan, De Vries 655) with a RIB or Inflatable on what used to be it's Helipad
  17. vivariva

vivariva Senior Member

Nilo thank you very much for this thread. The story has a gripping narrative :)

What was/ were your favourite(s) islands in your trip? Any recommendations? Thanks
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

THANK YOU!

very interesting thread, great pictures and interesting reading...

thanks for taking the time... all of us "stuck" in less exotic waters are very grateful...
  19. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Ditto on Pascal's comments. Thank you Nilo! Nice narrative. Educational too! You just made our world a much smaller place. And better too. :)
  20. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

Thanks Nilo

I was a great tour. It felt like i was on the trip myself.