Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

Trim Tabs

Discussion in 'Stabs, Tabs & Gyros' started by 36mainship36, Mar 31, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 36mainship36

36mainship36 New Member

Bennett vs Lenco ?? New trim tab install on my 36 Mainship. What would you install ?
    Lou R.
    36 Mainship D/C
    Avalon, New Jersey
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Was just discussing this at the shop the other day. Lenco has a good product and nobody to date can say anything real bad about them. There have been failures thru the years on them all. Prices are close. Installation may be just a bit taller on the Bennett or Level Masters systems (an extra part to install in the ship (pump)), but we mostly agreed not to put anything electric or metallic in the water.

I recall a newer Lenco tab fell apart at the spot welds holding the hinge in place. Bennett uses a formed & captured lip for it's hinge.

That's where you need to draw your line. Plastic or electric & metal in the water. Welds or formed metal.

I would recommend, if your ship stays in the water, not Lenco.

Nuf said?

Keep us up on what you decide, why and how it works out, including years from now.

,rc
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Lenco's are great for center consoles that sit on a lift. NOT for boats that stay in the water, they have huge electrolysis problems with them. I'd stick with Bennett.
  4. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

Have you looked at the Insta-trim boat levelor tabs? One thing about the Bennets, they don't have any external hoses to deal with but a nipple screws into the top of the cylinder then goes through the transom. On several installs the rudder board would be right where the nipple needs to come through the transom so you either have to move up and lose some travel or cut out part of the rudder board. I don't have any experience with the other brand.