Click for Lurssen Click for Dockmate Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Burger

Trim Tabs vs. Interceptors

Discussion in 'Stabs, Tabs & Gyros' started by DOCKMASTER, May 11, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Curious to get some feed back if there is any speed/fuel advantage to going with an interceptor system vs. trim tabs? I have a 54' Donzi SF and at cruise speeds I run with the tabs full down. I gain speed and efficiency while tabbing down until I'm full tab down. Makes me wonder if I wouldn't benefit from larger tabs or possibly interceptors instead of tabs? I'm not really in need of roll or stability control so mainly looking at speed/efficiency. I'm sure there is a fine line of having too much tab but I'm left wondering if I would benefit from more since I always use all I've got. Of course, I'm referring to running in normal to calm sea conditions with tabs full down, lest someone scold me about how to use trim tabs :):)
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have run several fast boats with interceptors like the 45' Hatteras EX and they work very well. I am running a new 52' Manhattan at 20 knots and they work fairly well, BUT I think tabs may give more stern lift. If you're running tabs full down, sounds like you may be a bit undertabbed…….now with the new engines and lighter weight and new prop design, I would be inclined to run the boat as is, see how it performs and then change them next haulout if necessary.
  3. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Yeah I won't do anything until after trials and this season regardless. Just starting to look at options and seek input. Some of the research I've seen suggests the Interceptors provide more lift than tabs then others say the opposite. I've had problems in the past with the hydraulic cylinders on my tabs breaking but it's been a few years now without any issues. I figure if I do need to increase the tab size the Interceptors might be a cleaner and easier install. I also like the idea of less stuff protruding off the back of the boat to foul fishing gear. But it all comes down to what will provide best lift and speed/fuel efficiency as the primary driver.
  4. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

I "have" a set of Interceptors completed, but waiting to get on a plane from AUS for our Cat C12 715hp powered Tiara 42 Open. The original MI props had some cav burn when I bought the boat used that we've been chasing so finally decided it was time to replace... With the current setup, we were running 28.5-29kts @ 75-80% load, burning 50-52 gal/hr with maybe 30% tab. Once they finally arrive and we're able to splash the boat to test, I'll post our findings.

Max
  5. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

6. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

Apologize for the confusion... I was talking about Veem Interceptor propellers not interceptor tab system. We still have the stock Bennett tabs on the boat.

max
  7. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

No worries. That's pretty funny though. I just put Veem Interceptor props on my boat as part of my complete Repower. Trials are scheduled to start on 6/8. If the Veem's perform half as good as they look things will be fantastic. They look like beautiful pieces of jewelry on the bottom of my boat :):)
  8. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

I have to agree with J , run with the tabs you have now first to see how the weight change affects everything, the reduction in weight may slightly shift your CG forward and up resulting in a flatter running trim and maybe , hopefully, less than full tab required.