Click for JetForums Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning

Transport captain - Panama City FL to Long Island Sound

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by PPD, Apr 29, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PPD

PPD Member

For the purposes of survey/inspection, inspecting the shaft tubes isn't really feasible unless we have the yard pull them out and then put a camera up there to see. We will do a thorough inspection of the black, gray and water tanks, as well as looking in every nook and cranny we can to see if there is any evidence of corrosion. We will also focus the ultrasonic testing on the underside of the tank areas.
  2. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Arrange for a septic truck to evacuate the black and grey tanks, including a pressure wash ahead of the surveyor. You'll want him to have a very good look at that plating from teh interior of the boat.

Shaft tube, inquire about bearing historical status. Feel the rotation of the wheel when she's on the hard to determine any binding. Binding would be an indication of some rot and swelling that is pinching the shaft. A decent tell. Same inspection with the rudders. If they bind, again there is swelling likely present causing that contraction.
  3. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

You'll find inspection plates for the water tanks. You will want to pop those open and review the water tank condition. The only open bilges other than the ER are under the forward berth area, forward of the water tank that sits right in front of the ER door. So while you'll want to know the bilges, access to the black, grey, and water tanks is a "must".
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If not already figured out, others may not understand your comments.
    I do believe rtafford owns and maintains a near sister ship....
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

This would make the Greatest Pictures.
    Got to find a way to call up that Photo Chopper and get some pics.

Is that photo chopper still available? Not thought about him for years.
    Or am I showing my age again.
  6. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I know the reference. He got an early shot of my tenure with the sportfish. But, yes, it would be a cool adventure as well as photo op. Especially as I'm headed for Ingot's slip, an annual photo I file as a complaint to Wisco when Ingot is arriving and boots me...
  7. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Oh, I think I know her as well as Burger...we're actually replacing the forward bilge playing right now, taking advantage of the need for new genny access (and old exit) to create a hole that needs to ultimately be replaced at some point due to minor pitting. I think we've pretty much reached the end of the refit at this point, although the maintenance never ends. She's such a lady....

I'm the same boat, basically. Difference is I don't have the cockpit, but I do have the full width main salon and day head. My girl was also overbuilt with .3125 plating, a step up from the early use of .250.
  8. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Photo choppers - are you guys serious? You can buy a high quality drone with high res camera for far less than the cost of a chopper and use it over and over. My son just got a pretty amazing drone for less than $1k. Sorry, off topic I know.
  9. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

....and just as quickly you can drive the drone into the drink because technology loves to bight my ass...
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh Yes, Before drones.
    Some lil egg-beater would fly up/down the coast,, in/out every inlet and take pictures of boats.
    Go home, track the boats name down, get the mail address and solicit you to purchase some pictures.
    Some blurred sample pics included in the mailing.

Off topic from looking for a delivery captain??
    How could you??
    Disbelief s.jpg
  11. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Nah - technology on these things is amazing. Won't let you fly it into any object and it will automatically land at the exact same spot you hade it take off from.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Which is perfect when you take off from a moving boat!!!!!!!!!!! And, forget to land it before the batteries get to 30%. hehehehe Even better when you accidentally hit the tower with it doing a fly by like a buddy did.
  13. Scallywag

Scallywag Member

Pull the shafts. Inspection of the tubes inside the tank is not necessary (as stated by Burger) because the diesel really does inhibit corrosion. The pitting/corrosion would be inside the tubes where the shaft lies, if it exists. Should be properly barrier coated and bottom painted inside the tube anyway. I give mine a good "slathering" every 2 years.

BTW check your shaft seals. I had bronze conventional shaft seals that ate my stern tubes over the years (avoid contact of dissimilar metals). I cut out and replaced the old tubes and put Tides shaft seals 10+ years ago and now all is copacetic.
  14. PPD

PPD Member

Sea trial on Tuesday, followed by haulout and survey.
    Fingers crossed she checks out.