Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

Transport captain - Panama City FL to Long Island Sound

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by PPD, Apr 29, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PPD

PPD Member

Looking for a delivery from Panama City Beach to Long Island Sound. Schedule is likely July. Any recommendations welcome. Boat is a 1973 Burger 80'.
  2. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

If that's the boat at Watson Bayou, you have a nice boat. I looked at it for a friend a couple of months ago and was very impressed.
  3. PPD

PPD Member

Yes, that's the one. It needs a cosmetic refit, and a little work on a few systems, but she'll look good with a little effort.
  4. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

Did you figure out the issue with the paint on the port side? It's fine except those few spots. If I didn't have a granddaughter due in July, I would love to relocate that boat for you.
  5. PPD

PPD Member

Haven't gotten that deep into it yet. We are surveying in the next couple weeks.
  6. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

Let me know if I can help with anything. I'm right down the road.
  7. PPD

PPD Member

Will do. Thanks for the offer.
    I've been referred to a couple of surveyors down there - Capt Patrick Yates Adams and Daniel Cole. Know anything about either of them? I also have the Broker putting me in touch with a Detroit mech.
  8. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

I don't know either of the surveyors but Chuck Davis is the best Detroit mechanic in the area.
  9. PPD

PPD Member

Ok. Chuck is who we are trying to schedule, so at least we are going in the right direction there.
  10. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

He's also extremely busy.
  11. captbh

captbh New Member

She is a great classic Burger. She is hull 319 C and was built as Antibes. She was 72 ft before the cockpit addition. I was service manager for Burger in the late 80's at the Lantana yard and had the chance to work on many of the classics. Would be a great trip to do on her.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I might be able to deliver the boat in July. Does it have a bow thruster? What is cruise speed on it?
  13. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

12v71 Detroits and no bow thruster. We didn't sea trial her but I imagine not a very fast boat.
  14. PPD

PPD Member

Capt J - if you are interested in the delivery, please message me and we can discuss.
    No bow thruster. Like most of the older classics with 12v71s I anticipate a cruise of 10-11kts with a top speed of 13kts.
    The bow thruster is on the list of refit tasks. Need to find someone to put in a hydraulic one.
  15. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

If you manage to get her to Ft Pierce by the end of May, you can ride alongside for the journey.
  16. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

You might check with Miller Marine in Southport if you want to install it before you move it north.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Fix the boat. Make sure she runs and is safe.
    Purchase some better champagne for rename ceremony.

With the spread of those engines; You don't need no silly bow thruster.
    Boat has not needed one in 50 years.
    RT46 likes this.
  18. PPD

PPD Member

Capt Ralph - that's what I've been thinking. I've never run a boat with a bow thruster, so I'm not conditioned to lean on one for a crutch, but the largest boat I have run is a 60' catamaran (sail). I'm sure I can manage without it.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Bow thruster topic has been brought up many times before on YF. On a cold and stormy night, do some searches here.
    Some thoughts have interesting merit you may want to consider either way.
    Were all brothers here and I do think it's brought up sometimes just to fill a slow day with raspberries and humor.
    After reading previous threads; please open a new thread if you have more questions on Bow Thrusters.

So, tell is more about your new ship.
    The ad web address?
    I'm guessing 12V71Ns but know some had 12V92?s.
    Any other thoughts and concerns?

And of course any pictures you took during your inspections.
    We luv to eat up Carl's disk space with pictures.
    Just keep them under 650pix wide.
    We have members all over the world. Smaller pix allows the lower bandwidth members to view them also.

Als%20gator.jpg
  20. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Bow thruster. I added one. My thinking?

I don’t need one to handle her. I increase rpm to 750 and shift at the slightly elevated engine speed giving me responsive torque to the wheels. She’ll do what I want her to do.

However, she’s a big girl, and I don’t tend to cruise with many talented hands aboard. Distance from cleat to cleat and bow to stern takes a moment. Although relatively streamline by modern standards, she’s got some sail.

The thruster helps me to keep her pinned to the dock while lines are attended, keeping me from discovering an awkward situation on its way to being out of control.

Can I manage that without? Yes. Am I happy to have the hand aboard via the thruster? Yes. Would I install it again? Yes. Without hesitation. I don’t travel with a crew, and I’ve been in some situations that the thruster helped me manage.
    bayoubud likes this.