Click for JetForums Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay

Tracking of Jetskis and Tender

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by comship, Mar 30, 2008.

1. comship

comship Senior Member

Does anyone know if there is a system to track the Yacht's toys (tender and two jetskis) throught the Yacht's radar?
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

One way would be to install an AIS system. Cheaper (homegrown) ways would be to put a radar reflector on board which should give you a fairly unique blip or use cell phone child tracking technology.
  3. Ju52

Ju52 Senior Member

4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Check these guys out, they will be used on the next mega yacht project I am starting now.

http://www.tracplus.co.nz/overview.aspx

Here is an extract from an e mail I got when I first inquired about their equipment, I was asking about the tracking of Jetskis and Tenders just like you are now.

As you may have noticed from our website we basically track anything anywhere and pull it onto the same screen.
    We are like the Vodaphone for GPS tracking, in that we are aligned with no particular hardware manufacturer, or carrier so we can use all of them. This means we integrate and assimilate often competing brands of equipment, be it plane, boat,truck or person, and provide the one-stop shop solution.

There are several different approaches to this situation and depends entirely on technology infrastructure onboard the ship.

First "Active tracking" anywhere / anytime worldwide

Simply mixing and matching terminals (GPS devices) on each craft to suit their profile and monitoring them on the boat and on land (if required) via internet on board.
    The easiest approach

Secondly "Active Tracking" within GRSM Cell phone range only

Simply mixing and matching terminals (GPS GRSM devices) on each craft to suit their profile and monitoring them on the boat and on land (if required) via internet on board.

Thirdly Wireless network tracking (within a coverage limit) close to ship

Again a mix and match of terminals in a local area fed back into the ship via a remote wireless network

Here is an English Company that I was introduced to when researching something for a client about 6 yrs ago, they were just developing the Wrist Watch Locator at the time. This companies package is used by a couple of large yachts and I have heard no horror stories.

http://www.smltechnologies.com/Content/Products/Products.htm
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ju52 & K1W1, I'm an old scotch tape & bubble gum guy. I like your ideas way better.
  6. comship

comship Senior Member

Thanking you all of you guys for your kind assistance. I think that seetrac is an interesting product. I have mailled them to see if it is compatible with either my ECDIS system Dkart Navigator, or JRC radar which features CMAP chart or even with the Simrad chart plotter radar
  7. Chevelle

Chevelle New Member

Just my $.02. Saw a cool device in Jim Mclaughlins shop the other day. Small unit, $1500ish AIS info transmiter for jet ski's and tenders. Cool because it will pick up the ski's on radar even though they are to small for targets. Google Mclaughlin marine electronics in Florida.
  8. comship

comship Senior Member

I have done it but I could not find the tracker could you please submit me the model? Thanks in advance.
  9. Chevelle

Chevelle New Member

You will have to call or E-mail Jim directly. He only imports one unit that I know of, and sets each one up custom for the app. He had one on the bench when I was in there a month or so ago. He should have that one installed and have some feedback on it by now. It is a very new unit here in the USA but may have been around for awhile. Jim is good people and will help you out.
  10. comship

comship Senior Member

thanks alot for your kind help