Click for Llebroc Click for JetForums Click for Stats Click for EMP Click for Mag Bay

Top Battery

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Capt Ralph, Aug 9, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We have a 32Vdc boat. 4 x 8v batteries in series, make up each of 2 banks.
    Each bank runs half of the ship and cranks it own engine.

Thru the many years we have been onboard I keep checking/adding distilled water and hydrometer testing the banks every 6 o_O months. Plus our 24Vdc inverter bank, gen-sets and electronics 12Vdc batteries.

Seems the 32Vdc banks last 4 years. Somehow their in a rotation, every two years one bank gets replaced.
    The top Battery (25 to 32Volts) always needs more water and gets weak first in the bank.
    This past week, the port top battery was reading weak one year ahead of the norm.

As an experiment, I had this one weak top battery replaced. We will see what happens to the rest of the bank as they start their fourth year.

I think the top 12v batteries in the 24V bank may use just a bit more water also.

Is anybody else out there noticing top battery issues in their in-series battery banks?
    Adding extra water vs the rest of the bank?

Any thoughts?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The battery that the positive comes off of generally seems to always use the most water from what I've seen. I think the heat created when a load is put on it and charging it tends to do it.